Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Volume

TheDarkKnight1

Hey Helix family,

This may have been answered but I typed in the search box and nothing came up.

In my Helix, I have numerous presets. I have quite a few presets that have multiple scenes. When I created the presets/scenes, each scene has a certain volume so aggressive passages have a higher volume/gain and perhaps more distortion than in other scenes that have lower volume and distortion, you get the picture. Is there a way to lower the volume of the preset overall so that the different scenes have their relative volume intact in relation to each other?

"Preset Levelling" is one of the most common question raised with modelers, and one of the most difficult to accomplish.

My suggestion, based on the specifics of your question, is to assign the LEVEL in the Output Block to Snapshots.

• Upvote 1

What you have to come to grips with is the Helix is a modeler which means it's simulating the actual circuitry of the amps and effects, therefore you encounter all the same things you would encounter if you were dealing with two different amps with different effects in the signal chain.  Two different amps will have two different circuits and often two different responses to the way they're setup and how they handle external effects and therefore two different ways you have to go about leveling their output while maintaining the tone depending on all sorts of factors such as gain, tone stacks, pre effects, post effect, etc.

The good news in all of this is that the Helix has added a signal meter that all you have to do is select the output block and you can get a sense of where your signal output appears to be.  For the most part I've found 60 or 65% on the meter seems to be about the right levels to shoot for and should come out to be roughly equal in volume other than perceived volume which may need to be adjusted.  I don't find it all that hard but I've gotten used to it over the last 6 years and I'm sure you'll get used to accounting for it as well as you build your presets and snapshots.  I personally spend most of my time getting the basic setting of the amp dialed in with the basic tone I want at the volume I want and then try to make adjustment to the rest of the blocks as I add them so the amp and cabs remain fairly consistent, but everyone probably approaches this differently.

On 8/13/2021 at 11:21 AM, ichasedx said:

I was able to locate where to change the assignment for the big knob on the Helix.  By using the knob as you described, are you just decreasing the input signal to the PC+'s, not really decreasing their volume? It also has a dramatic effect on the tone when adjusting from room practice level, to full blown stage volume. I could see where it might not matter, but I have put so much effort into trying to get the best possible tone from the Helix regardless of volume, I'll stick with adjusting the volumes individually for now.

Thanks anyway...

If I am reading your question correctly, you have different levels in ONE preset and you want to change the overall volume of that preset and let your different scenes(snapshots) change proportionally based on the change in the over all preset.  

If it is just for that one preset, you could adjust the volume using the big knob on the helix (you probably knew that and that's not what you want).  

You could change the level of your last output block.  That would lower or make louder the preset and your snapshots would change proportionate to the change in the output block.  Using the output block keeps you from having to add a gain block right before the output block and leaves that spot free for something else.

There is loudness of the signal, and then there is perceived loudness in the mix.  I have seen many times when, for example, acoustic guitar simulator sounds nice and clear at home, but during rehearsals, it is completely inaudible.  You need to adjust the balance in relation to the other instruments in the group. 

The most important thing is equalization.  You can have the same "loudness" for 2 different sounds, but one is EQ'ed differently and stands out because it's more piercing and noticeable.  For all my solos, I simply add an EQ block right before the amp and boost 2K 10dB. 

The best recommendation I can give you from my personal experience is keep your sound consistent in terms of the meat and potatoes setup: distortion type, amp block, cab block, IR.  Pick one amp for clean, and another for dirty sounds tops.  Don't go all out with multiple amps for each song section.  There will always be various nuances where each virtual amp may sit differently in the mix, and you will get inconsistent results during your gig.  Some PAs exaggerate certain frequencies, unlike what you get at home. 

Figure out how to take have lead/vs rhythm sounds.  Try the EQ approach that I use.  And then after tweaking things at home, be prepared to tweak things some more during rehearsals. 

In terms of loudness, you can set the amp's volume/master volume, and change the output level of each snapshot or preset.  However, again, I don't recommend taking care of solos that way.  It will not work for all situations.