Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I connect my amp AND powered cabinet to Helix, and switch between them for presets?

ILikaGoFast

Question for Helix users:

I want to do BOTH of these things at the same time with the Helix:

1. Have my Lab Series L7 amp connected to the Helix, and be able to use it’s high gain channel with the Helix providing effects AFTER the L7’s preamp stage
2. Be able to play my Helix modeled amps and presets through my external 112 cabinet that has it’s own power amp.

Can I do this, and if so how?
Thank you for any help

***More precisely, I should say, I want to be able to “have the L7 in the Helix’s fx loop,” in a manner of speaking. I want to primarily use my 112 cabinet to play all my Helix presets through, and then kick on the fx loop to hear the L7 amp for a different lead tone when I want it.

If you want to have your output switch between 2 output jacks, you can use a panner block at the end of the chain. Pan left in snapshot a. Pan right in snapshot b.  

or you can use send 1 and send 2 blocks. Enable send 1 and disable send 2 in one snapshot. Then do the opposite in another snapshot. 

32 minutes ago, ILikaGoFast said:

Question for Helix users:

<Snip>

***More precisely, I should say, I want to be able to “have the L7 in the Helix’s fx loop,” in a manner of speaking. I want to primarily use my 112 cabinet to play all my Helix presets through, and then kick on the fx loop to hear the L7 amp for a different lead tone when I want it.

Easy. Simply place your FX Loop Block (or, if desired, separate Send and Return Blocks) as you wish in your Helix Signal Path. Enable and disable the FX Loop (or the send and return blocks) when you want to hear your L7. Be sure to gain stage the levels and that your FX Send is configured to what you L7 FX Input needs; presumable Line Level. Helix allows Level adjustment in the FX Loop Block, and the FX Send and Rtn Blocks. 

• Thanks 1

To expand on what @theElevatorssaid:

You want the L7 set up in 4cm configuration. Do a search, hundreds of posts. 

You didn't specify what your amp was for the "external 112 cab" so I'll assume some sort of pedalboard amp like a PS170. For that all you need is a cable from the Main L/Mono Out or a second SEND to the amp's input.

There's many ways to go about it if you want to use either/both configurations in a single preset depending on your specific needs for that preset. Essentially, you use Snapshots to enable/disable the FX Loop, enable Helix Amps/Cabs/IRs and redirect the signal chain from the Main L/R Mono Out used in the 4cm configuration to a second FX SEND (not FX Loop) for the External amp input. While you're thinking about that, what about FOH?

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much so much guys!!

I don’t have to worry about FOH; I’m not playing out anywhere now.

I also have available to play through my two Alto 110 powered speakers as well as a Harley Benton 112 cabinet — I’m powering that with a TC Electronic BAM200.

I wanted to be able to have JUST the distortion sound from the L7 amp play through ITS speakers when I select a preset in the Helix where the L7 is in an FX Loop and activated. Then, when I switch presets, send the Helix signal to my Harley Benton cab via the 1/4” input in my TC Electronic BAM200– which is connected to it.

Thanks again all!