Does anyone know whether you can date a korean JTX through its serial number - i have bought a nice mint second hand JTX-69 and am interested in when it was made (as i understand that earlier models had issues with the E string slipping off the neck). Mine seems ok in that regard

first four number tell you the year and month of manufacture. YYMM...So 1202 is Feb 2012.

• Upvote 1

For what its worth, I am dating a Korean girl who was made in 1964.  To date there has been no problem with the e string slippage.  (Im sorry, I couldn't resist)

• Upvote 4

so mine is W11210 - so thats October 2012.

Something's not right...it's year first, then month. YYMM.

So unless that's a typo, 1121 doesn't make sense. If it's 1112, that would make sense, and it would indicate that it was built in Dec 2011.

• Upvote 1

w13100028 - this is a JTV -89F. So this would be October 2013?  What does the W stand for?  Is that the Korean Factory code?

My JTV69 was also made in October of 2010 and doesn't exhibit any problems with the high E string.

Close, but not quite,... it's not JTX, it's JTV. Stands for James Tyler Variax.

"first four number tell you the year and month of manufacture. YYMM...So 1202 is Feb 2012"---

Close,... good guess,... actually 1202 would be January 2012.

Yes,... "W" is for World Music in Korea. I own four JTV's with "W" numbers,... love 'em all.

Sharp crowd here,... I like it.

"first four number tell you the year and month of manufacture. YYMM...So 1202 is Feb 2012"---

Close,... good guess,... actually 1202 would be January 2012.

So the formula is YY/(MM-1)?

Strange, but we persevere...

• Upvote 1

How on earth does 02 stand for January?

Don't even bother. No doubt this falls into the uber-secret, should this info fall into the wrong hands the moon will escape from it's orbit, category. You know, the same class of history-altering data as recommended pickup height....

• Upvote 1