Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix not working as an audio interface

knuffled

I am running into an issue where my laptop refuses to recognize Helix as an audio interface/device I can output audio to. For example, when I try to listen to audio via the headphones plugged in to my Helix, the audio plays through my laptop speakers instead. This wasn't the case when I had a laptop that used Windows 10. Unfortunately, I no longer have that laptop.

I looked inside Windows Device Manager and found the following errors (see images below). I looked them up but don't know how to resolve them. I also tried the update drivers option but it says that all the drivers are up to date. I have redownloaded HX Edit 3 times now, once after disabling Windows Smart Screen, and it hasn't made any difference. I have also tried every available USB port on my laptop. I am running Windows 11 as my operating system, and I verified that it is supported for HX Edit 3.15.

I am very confused about how to resolve this and would greatly appreciate any help.

Screenshot 2022-06-04 195927.png

Screenshot 2022-06-04 200003.png

Uninstall all of your Line 6 Software using Windows Control Panel Programs Uninstaller. Before doing so be sure to Back Up any Presets you may wish to later Restore.

Download again and Install vers 3.15 Helix Edit. Allow it to install all software and drivers. When complete, reconnect your Helix hardware and allow HX Edit to identify your Helix hardware and reinstall the Firmware and configure Win 11 for your Helix Device. Once this is complete, check the Audio device selected by Win 11 via Settings (Win Button + I > Sound) , or use the Speaker Icon (if you have that displayed in the System Tray), to select the Helix as your Sound device. 

• 1 month later...

Those are the messages you get when the HX Edit version it's trying to load doesn't match the Firmware version on the Helix, but it can also occur when your computer security software won't authorize it to load, so check both of those items.  Turn off any security and see if it loads.

• 1 year later...

Problem solved . . .

I just had a problem with Helix not appearing on my computer as an audio device I can choose, and after a ridiculous number of hours researching it and trying different things, I finally got my computer to recognize Helix as an audio device.  I may have different hardware/software, but hopefully the concept of how I resolved the problem could help others.  (I am using the Helix floor model with Windows 7.)  Note that although my Helix wasn't working as an audio device (that is, I couldn't use it as an audio interface to record with, and I couldn't stream audio from the computer to the Helix), I was able to use HX Edit with my Helix - the computer did recognize the Helix as being connected through the USB cable.

Helix had worked as an audio device prior to the Helix firmware 3.60 and 3.70 firmware updates.  One of those updates must have stopped the Helix from being recognized as an audio device, due to a newer driver automatically being installed as part of the process of installing the new firmware and corresponding new version of HX Edit.  Therefore, I decided to try installing an earlier version of the driver, which hopefully would be the driver that was working prior to the Helix firmware updates being installed.

I had previously downloaded and saved driver 1.96 (released 3/16/21) (“Line 6 Helix Driver2") (you can also download it or any other older applicable driver you need for your own system from the Line 6 web site), and I thought that must be the driver being used when Helix previously was working OK as an audio device.  Therefore I installed it by clicking on it to start the installation process, and the installation process successfully completed.  However, that didn't help.  But when I looked in Window's "Device Manager"  at the driver, it wasn't version 1.96 that was installed; instead, v.1.97.0.2 had been installed.  What I then figured out is that the Windows installation process apparently searched the web for the latest driver and instead installed v.1.97.0.2 instead of v.1.96 which I had "told" Windows to install.  (In Device Manager, under “Sound, video and game controllers”, the driver for “Line 6 Helix” is listed, and you can click on that to expand/see the information about that driver, that is where it shows the version.)  Also, I should point out that it was weird that Windows was able to find a version 1.97.0.2 available on the web somewhere, because when I look on the downloads page on the Line 6 web site for drivers available for Helix on a Windows 7 system, there is no v.1.97.0.2 listed.  Also, when I looked at the v.1.97.0.2 driver in Device Manager, there was a message saying "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source."  That message is ambiguous - it is not clear whether that means the driver was installed, but Windows just can't verify the authenticity of the driver, or whether that means the driver was not successfully installed.

The way I was able to resolve the problem - how I was able to actually install v.1.96 - was by going to where the driver was listed in Device Manager and doing the following.  I chose “Update Driver”, and then “Browse my computer for driver software”, and then I chose “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.  It listed several drivers of different versions from different dates (I assume each of those listed I once had as the operative driver on my computer), and I chose to install version 1.96.0.0, dated 3/1/21.  That successfully allowed me to have v.1.96 installed as the operative driver on my computer.  And, more importantly, after I did that, the Helix then finally appeared as an audio device as a “Digital Audio Interface” named “Line 6 Helix”.  (I didn’t have to reboot the computer; and the Helix was attached by USB cable during the installation of v.1.96.0.0.)  Also, in Device Manager, the warning about the driver not being verified was gone, and it now said the driver is working properly.

So, bottom line, a current driver installed, even if the newest one, may not be working properly, so try an earlier driver.  And don't rely on the normal default installation process, because the version of the driver you think you are installing may not actually be the version you want installed; you may have to rely upon a different installation process to ensure the version you want installed actually gets installed.