Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Auto Swell: Rel Offset

fizbin

Clearly, the Internet doesn't know what this does. Can someone from Line 6 chime in? Do they ever chime in?

It was released with no explanation, nothing in any manual, the name doesn't explain it, and it appears to do nothing.

-Jay

Nobody from L6 hangs out here. Try asking this question over on TGP in the Digital and Modeling Forum.

A quick search turned up some references to the Legacy Auto Swell. Apparently it requires some technique to use, and very few find it satisfactory.

There's also a couple of YT vids on the subject.

• Upvote 1

ROffset does affect (offset) the amount of dBs needed to attack and release the swell. It helps A LOT to quick shape the swell for different guitars with different output, as well to shape the swell for slow or fast playing.

I'm using it A LOT, and as soon as you know how it works it's very efficient. In this video, apart the first glitches to create the loop, I'm using it almost all the time.

• Upvote 2

Unrelated to your question, but I struggled with the auto-swell block.  It's quite awful in my experience.  I needed to have loud volume swells on long notes without using a volume pedal, or volume knob.  Auto-swell just was too finicky and unreliable. 

The main issue is that no matter what I did it just would not release the note properly, and it would get sort-of stuck, unless I made sure to really mute the first note with my hand before playing the second one.  I tried every single combination of the settings, and nothing worked as I needed it to. 

What I found works extremely well instead is delay/Legacy/Auto-volume Echo.  Somebody from this forum suggested that actually.  Here are the settings that I use.  I place this block after the the amp/cab. 

907979939_ScreenShot2022-08-19at9_30_06AM.thumb.png.fa948e4e67015a8525751b5898e97545.png

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2022 at 1:23 AM, PierM said:

ROffset does affect (offset) the amount of dBs needed to attack and release the swell. It helps A LOT to quick shape the swell for different guitars with different output, as well to shape the swell for slow or fast playing.

I'm using it A LOT, and as soon as you know how it works it's very efficient. In this video, apart the first glitches to create the loop, I'm using it almost all the time.

Excellent demo! Also,  the brief debut of the cat significantly added to the enjoyment factor.