Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bulk replacement of IR blocks with a Cab block for device resale?

johnbeamon

A very specific question. I may be selling a Floor, and I wouldn't mind leaving my presets. I consider myself a bit of a power user, and I have a catalog of genre and artist and song match presets that I think could be useful to pass along. In the effort to NOT resell commercial impulse responses... because that's a thing... is there a way to bulk replace the IR blocks on either presets or setlists with a predefined Cab block? In a gesture of self-awareness, I will accept the answer "nobody cares, erase your presets" if you really think this is a waste of time. But I think it's an interesting question.

I know presets are JSON files. I'm an IT professional, and I can do search and replace with some command line UNIX tools. It wouldn't be trivial, but it ought to be possible. I know setlists are BASE64 encoded blobs. I'm not sure that's possible at all without multiple re-encoding steps. I know this is actually complicated by the 2.9 (?) change to load IR presets by name instead of number, because I can no longer replace all the slots with a free internet download and just expect them to load. Once upon a time, my preset would load whatever was in IR slot 5; but no longer. That would've been easy.

Do you plan on using the same cabinet for all presets? 

If so, just replace the IR with the cabinet on one preset.... then save that cab block as a favorite once you fine tune it to your liking. 

Next - go into each preset and replace the IR block with that "favorite" cab block. Yes it's tedious, but it won't take that much time. 

On 8/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, PaulTBaker said:

a python script could walk through the file and replace/remove the JSON values

IIRC... only individual preset backups are written in json... not the setlists or the full backups.

IMO, it would be just as easy to manually change that block than to export, search/replace, import each and every preset. 

On 8/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, PaulTBaker said:

Would be an interesting project to create tools to batch modify patches, setlists, etc.

Yes - having a tool for this would be great. 

On 8/24/2022 at 11:32 AM, johnbeamon said:

…. I consider myself a bit of a power user, and I have a catalog of genre and artist and song match presets that I think could be useful to pass along. In the effort to NOT resell commercial impulse responses... because that's a thing...

To rationalize not going all the way with the tedious effort described above, I might look at it this way…

Either the buyer knows about and understands IRs or they don’t. If they do you can let them know the source of your IRs and suggest they obtain them in order for the presets to work exactly as designed. No need to go into detail about which specific IRs are used - just the provider(s). They will also understand that if they don’t want to do that they will still have the advantage of your presets but will need to replace the IR with their preferred cab in every preset. They’ll still love you.

If they don’t know about IRs you can just tell them your presets are almost ready to go. They just need to replace the IR block with a cab block in each preset. And if they don’t want to do that they can perform a device reset as their first operation with their new gear. They won’t know the value of what they’re throwing away but that’s their loss. The extra effort you go to in advance won’t be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

to Coda.. , yes I agree the first time you do it, it is probably easier to make the changes manually.... it's the second, third, fourth, etc. that makes the code work better.  Especially if there was an interface where you picked the the preset and it did what you wanted... but that is even more development time.... :)