Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume pedal block - what is the point ?

uddude

Hi am relatively new to Helix ( I have the HX Stomp XL) I am trying to get it setup and running well to replace a big board for fly dates.

On my big board I am a heavy user of volume pedals for all kinds of reasons. So naturally I started building my presets with a volume pedal block in most of them. 

Then I realized this is a waste of a block b/c I can assign the expression pedal to control "level"  in an eq, amp, compressor, reverb etc etc. 

So now I am curious to know if / why do people use the volume pedal block instead of just assigning expression to level in an other block. 

Know what I mean?

If you need the room, then yeah, do what you say.  But if you have room, I think it is helpful to have something that is clearly related to volume.  For example, I sometimes use a volume block to change the volume between snapshots.  The existence of the volume block reminds me that I have an adjustment at a glance.  Not super important, but still helpful.

From the perspective of a Helix (Floor/Rack/LT), there are many more available slots, so it is a bit easier to use my strategy universally.

On 3/16/2023 at 3:32 AM, uddude said:

Hi am relatively new to Helix ( I have the HX Stomp XL) I am trying to get it setup and running well to replace a big board for fly dates.

On my big board I am a heavy user of volume pedals for all kinds of reasons. So naturally I started building my presets with a volume pedal block in most of them. 

Then I realized this is a waste of a block b/c I can assign the expression pedal to control "level"  in an eq, amp, compressor, reverb etc etc. 

So now I am curious to know if / why do people use the volume pedal block instead of just assigning expression to level in an other block. 

Know what I mean?

Block Level and Volume Block aren't really doing the same thing.

Block Level is for gain staging, and it's linear. Also, since this is scaled as gain/boost, it has a huge range in dB, which force you setting proper min and max unless you don't want to make a hole on your ceiling when hits the +12dB. :) Also, since this is a gain, its variation it will change the behaviour of blocks after this one.

Volume block is acting like a real PASSIVE volume pedal, with a 0/100 range, and can be set to work as a linear or log potentiometer. When assigned to a exp pedal (with correct specs) will act and feel as a real passive volume pedal.

That's why they did this way, a that's why you can even choose between a Volume Pedal block and a Gain Pedal block. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I will typically use a volume block if there are swells I want, at the end of the chain but before any time based effects like delay/reverb.  My main use is actually to simulate rolling the guitar volume down.  I'll put it first (other than a poly block) in my chain and set the % to whatever gives me the right sound/feel.  That way I can assign that block to a snapshot change or a stomp button and not have to roll "approximately" to a spot on my guitar while also trying to sing/play/perform/balance a ball on my head/drink a beer and change my underwear.  

I use the volume pedal pedal in a weird/unconventional way, I leave it fixed to cut the input volume.

I always clean up my guitar sound by rolling down the volume knob on my guitar.  When I have time to do that, I use the knob.  When the changes happen very fast like Nirvana/Pixies, I sometimes put a fixed volume pedal in the beginning of the chain.  That way I can switch between the clean/dirty sound instantaneously.  I have one snapshot that is clean (with the volume pedal engaged at 10%), and one that is dirty (volume pedal bypassed).

I find that always having gain in my sound makes it sound more "alive" as opposed to "dead" for the clean sounds; plus there's all this compression that you get which is nice.  But that's just me.  I have dialed in my main basic sound and all the other sounds are variations on the dirty sound...

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:32 PM, uddude said:

Lots of great answers already which you have acknowledged... I'll just share my reasons.

1: Freedom of placement. I can choose the exact place I want that control at my foot, and it is different at almost every location. Sure, you could put a GAIN block anywhere in the chain as well and assign the pedal... but that leads me to #2

2: The VP block is the only option that offers LOG taper like a guitar volume/volume pedal uses. Anything else is much more linear. I think there is room for improvement on the taper, but for me it works. I do hold out hope that a future update will offer more taper options.