Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it possible to NOT hear each Preset while browsing them?

chumbo

It's all in the title. 
It can of course be very desirable and useful to be able to hear them while browsing but it can also be really annoying and troublesome because of the level changes that can occur and the background the noise generated by certain 'extreme' fx. 

I was hoping for a way of browsing the Presets where find the one I want and confirm by the press of a button and only then have it load. Is that possible?

I asked ChatGPT but as too often the case, rather than admitting not having the answer, it seems to want to invent one.
It gave me instructions which seemed promising since it was describing the unit layout fairly accurately and how to access the Global Settings and supposedly deactivating a setting that unfortunately doesn't exist:

1. Press and hold the "PAGE" button until the "GLOBAL SETTINGS" menu appears.
  2. Use the joystick to scroll down to "PREVIEW BROWSER".
  3. Press the joystick to enter the "PREVIEW BROWSER" menu.
  4. Use the joystick to select "OFF".
  5. Press the joystick to confirm the selection and exit the menu.

No, there is no way to prevent a preset being loaded, if you give the unit the time to load it.

If this is annoying you that much (honestly never had a problem like that in 8 years of daily use), you can place a cheap volume pedal in front of the helix, and turn the volume down while browsing, or use PCs to call only the presets you want. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, MayPRS said:

Are you using a unit with dedicated volume knob (LT/Floor...)?

According to other posts he has made, he has a HX Stomp, complete with a 60 cycle hum. 
Link:

https://line6.com/support/topic/39780-loud-hum-with-helix-stomp/#comment-467252

• Thanks 1

Ah yes, should have mentioned it, it's a HX Stomp.
It's of course mainly a concern when gigging. Being on stage and browsing through presets and having all these changes in volume, noise of all sorts as I'm looking for the preset I want to load is pretty annoying I find.
Of course, I can think of a bunch of workarounds but it's not ideal, which is why I asked.
So it's not possible then...too bad :-(

On 4/27/2023 at 1:46 PM, chumbo said:

Ah yes, should have mentioned it, it's a HX Stomp.
It's of course mainly a concern when gigging. Being on stage and browsing through presets and having all these changes in volume, noise of all sorts as I'm looking for the preset I want to load is pretty annoying I find.
Of course, I can think of a bunch of workarounds but it's not ideal, which is why I asked.
So it's not possible then...too bad :-(

You shouldnt browse presets in a gig.

Use snapshots to create variations (seamless changes) within the same preset, or do your own presets setlist, with only presets you use, and balance them to work as you want. You can also place a volume block in each of them, to load at volume zero.

Again, I can manage to find a solution to deal with the issue, I was just curious if what I was asking was possible or not. It's been answered several times already now, I get it, it's not possible.
Thanks for all the suggestion nevertheless! :-)

On 4/27/2023 at 6:46 AM, chumbo said:

I was hoping for a way of browsing the Presets where find the one I want and confirm by the press of a button and only then have it load. Is that possible? ....

.... Ah yes, should have mentioned it, it's a HX Stomp.

Your question is legit... there are several multi units on the market that allow you to scroll through a list then push to actually activate the preset. 

It is more limited on a Stomp, but YES it is possible to view your presets without hearing each one. The limitation is that you must be in preset mode to do this and depending on how you use your Stomp it may require additional footswitches to bounce between modes.

(the big Helix units also need to be in preset mode, it's just easier to toggle in/out)

Note: I don't have my stomp with me to try at the moment... I'm not sure if you just see preset numbers, or if you see the actual names. Either way, you need to organize before hitting a stage. 

How it works! In preset mode you will see three presets and must choose one to hear it. 

• When you bank UP (FS2 & FS3) you see the next 3, but nothing loads until you choose it. 
  • Same applies to bank down (FS1 & FS2)

From the manual... The important word is "queue"... that means nothing is loading, until you tell it to. 

image.png.18adb500436ea23b0360b1c8486c5c1d.png

• Upvote 1