Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

limits

Vostorvic

Hello,

I just started with Helix and I am a bit surprised by the limits.. Things I didn't read in the manual, like so many options grayed out! Why is that? In one preset there was only one option for a bass amp...

Why is it not possible to route path 1 to path 2 in stereo?

Why is it not possible to mix a signal from path 2 into path 1 or vice versa?

Why is it not possible to make a different mix for different outputs?

Am I missing something?

Models are greyed out when the path’s DSP limit is approached, as described in the manual. Read it more carefully for a more complete understanding of the device’s capabilities and limitations.

Path 1 output is stereo, and routing it to Path 2 does provide a stereo input to Path B. Unless, of course, you have a mono FX block at the end of Path A. Then Path B will receive the mono signal from Path A.

Paths A and B are independent processing paths, each of which can be split into parallel paths for mixing/merging within the Path.

The Output block in each of Path A and B provides a Pan parameter which allows you to mix the output signals from each Path.

Please provide other specific examples of what you would like to be able to do. There may be a way.

• Upvote 3

As Silverhead says... and here is some numbers thats in the design rules and will gray out some choices.

Per path limit   

• Amp - Max 2x in path    
  • CAB - Max 2x single/1x double    
  • IR -  Max 2x 1024/1x 2048    
  • Poly - Max 1x per path    

Per preset limit    

• Looper - 1x total    
  • Blocks - 16x per path    

Edit: Here is a distillation of information, including the DSP values for amp's, cab's and effects. Most of the DSP values come from Ben Vesco's site (except the latest ones for 3.60 which I have tested). The rest of the information comes from various sources - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ounfwbqce53r57n/Line6 Helix-Model and DSP Summary%2C 3%2C60b.pdf?dl=0.

//Per

• Upvote 3

On 5/29/2023 at 1:37 PM, Vostorvic said:

Am I missing something?

Yup! You sure are.

Why is it not possible to route path 1 to path 2 in stereo? - It is!

Why is it not possible to mix a signal from path 2 into path 1 or vice versa? - It is, well - it is if you mean mix from 1A to 1B and back, or 2A to 2B and back. Theoretically, you could take the output of path 2 via a send and bring it into path 1 on a return. But why the hell would you ever need to do that? Insane, just plan ahead.

Why is it not possible to make a different mix for different outputs? - It is!

You need to go back and study the manual - again.

Your Helix has 4 stereo paths available - Path 1A & 1B plus Path 2A & 2B - See Template example 04A for all 4 paths in use with each path being sent to 4 different output options.

If you have something grayed out it means you have exceeded the DSP available for what you are trying to achieve.

Page 15 Helix Owner's Manual - 

IMPORTANT! If you encounter items in the list that are grayed out or unavailable, this means the current path (1 or 2) cannot accommodate that category, subcategory, or model. See "Dynamic DSP"

Dynamic DSP info is on page22

I have been using my Helix for almost 8 years and cannot remember the last time I ran out of DSP.

I suggest you might want to reassess your approach to how you set up a preset.

• Upvote 4