Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx stomp/Stomp XL : overheating alert true or fake ?

Guido_59

Hello I’m Guido from Italy 

Have never ear something about Line6 controll on Hx Stomp and Stomp XL for possibility of chip breaking cause overheating especially after upgrade with last firmware on a certain range of serial numbers on warranty and consequent warranty extension?

This is an alert give to a friend from his shop , but I haven’t read nothing about.

Line6 make control on a lot and send advice to shop or distributors without publishing nothing about on official website?

I think this is not possible, Line6 is a serious manufacturer and in case of problem on a product should be an official communication on official website 

Have you notice about ?

What do you think about ?

• Confused 1

Hello rd2rk , I suppose from Italy

I see what you mean.

On a Facebook Italian group , probably you know it,  one user say his vendor call to advice that Line6 sends him a mail about this .

In this mail Line6 should be talk about control on Hx stomp and stomp xl for this issue , but no one has read this mail with me with list of device serial number interested by issue.

I have many doubt this is true, but I decide to ask in this official international community for news

Hi,

If there was any cause for alarm, the usual place to check is in the coloured banners across the top of this page. There was a notice about an overheating issue with wireless Relay G10 posted up there for many months.

Let’s check with out Italian contributor,

@PierM - Are you aware of this? Nobody seems to think it’s true.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

If there was any cause for alarm, the usual place to check is in the coloured banners across the top of this page. There was a notice about an overheating issue with wireless Relay G10 posted up there for many months.

Let’s check with out Italian contributor,

@PierM - Are you aware of this? Nobody seems to think it’s true.

HX Stomp does for sure produce some heat, but it's mostly related to the power section around the DC inductor area. Those can reach some very high temp, especially in hot environments. Is it possible for this part to be affected by a different firmware? Unlikely as currents should always be in the tolerance range with DSP running full throttle (I hope) but it's not something completely impossible to happen.

Said all that, I never heard anything about that story. I still keep my HX Stomp well ventilated. :) 

• Upvote 2

On 7/13/2023 at 11:21 AM, Guido_59 said:

Do you suggest to ventilate side where is located power CC input?

It's good practice with any gear to allow for the free flow of air around it. For example, with rack gear, it's common to leave a space between rack gear that generates a lot of heat.

• Upvote 2

On 7/13/2023 at 6:21 PM, Guido_59 said:

Do you suggest to ventilate side where is located power CC input?

The HX Stomp doesnt have vents as other similar devices so it's all about pulling some heat from its chassis...what Im doing now is to place a 5V quiet fan under my pedalboard (powered by a 9V to 5V converter, plugged into the Zuma), where the stomp sits. The airflow created under the pedalboard (that does also hit the stomp through the pedalboard grill) does help to dissipate the heat from the HX Stomp chassis, and any other pedal around it. Always found odd the lack of termal efficiency on modern pedals...

• Upvote 1

On 7/16/2023 at 9:02 AM, Guido_59 said:

@PierM

The airflow of fan is directed to the bottom of Stomp ?

Yeah. I have a rockboard pedalboard, so there is plenty of airflow underneath.