Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Auditioning settings with a footswitch

mattsteeves

I’m trying to set this scenario up and having trouble figuring it out - but im sure there must be a Ty way (hopefully)

id like to “audition” a few dozen IRs for a patch. But, instead of bending down and rotating the knob, I’d like to have a switch that cycles through them. So far the only solution I’ve found is using an expression pedal with a range set fairly small and cycling through 10 or so at a time. It’s not ideal because it’s distracting to try and not skip through some. Does anyone know how I might set something like this up?

You could use snapshots and assign a different IR to each snapshot. That will limit you to 8 or fewer at a time depending on your Helix device. For switching convenience set Global Settings to have all 8 snapshots available at once with your footswitches.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, silverhead said:

You could use snapshots and assign a different IR to each snapshot. That will limit you to 8 or fewer at a time depending on your Helix device. For switching convenience set Global Settings to have all 8 snapshots available at once with your footswitches.

Yes this is what i did when i was testing some IR's.  I'd set up an Amp & Cab Block of whatever amp I was going to be using, dial it in as best as I thought I could with the stock cab/speaker.  Then i would set up 2 IR's on path 1, and 2 IR's on path 2.  I would then make each one active on a different snapshot.  I could test 4 at a time then, so typically i would take the same speaker/cab combination but change the mic or mic placement to find it out.  Once I liked something I would save it as a favorite and then create a new round of the favorites to compare the speaker/cab/mic choices I liked.   

Much more thorough of a process, but worked for me.  

• Like 1

Also the Looper is a great tool for auditioning. Place the looper block at the front of the signal chain and record a sample loop such as a chord progression. Then put your guitar down and play back the loop. Use your hands or feet to tweak the tone as desired and listen to the tone change instantly without interruption.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...