Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Database Rebuild missing cab blocks?

Ross_Mcteague

Hi There,

I recently updated my Helix Lt software to the latest patch, this installed with no issues and my backup was downloaded onto the helix - no issues and I packed to go the my gig.

I set up and turned on my Helix and it began rebuilding the database - I'm not sure why? When this had finished, I found it had managed to load all my presets correctly but the 'Cab block' was missing from each preset.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Is the database rebuild standard after a software update?

Thank you so much in advance and take care all 

After a firmware update it is normal for all presets to be rebuilt. It is also normal for any newly loaded presets that were created in older firmware to be rebuilt on the first startup after they were imported. What you described is normal except, of course, for missing cabs. That is highly unusual - virtually impossible in fact. What it possible is that you use IRs rather than stock cabs, and it is quite possible that those are missing, depending on what steps you actually took after the update. For instance, if you performed a factory reset after updating, as recommended, your previously installed IRs were deleted. If you did not restore them from the backup file then, yes, they are missing.

My advice is to perform a factory reset again and then restore almost all items from the system backup file that was created during the update. In particular, restore the IRs. The items you don’t want to restore are the latest factory presets (setlists #1, 2, and 8).

Hi there,

Thanks for the guidance on the rebuild, I’m glad that parts normal at least. 

ah is there something in the fact my presets are saved mainly in setlists 1 and 2? Would it help if I moved those?

in terms of the cab blocks yes I know it sounds ridiculous! I believe I was actually using the combo (cab and amp) block - this had been changed to just the amp head, lead to some hissy horrible sounds til I found out what’s wrong! The names and everything else were as they should be. 

*edit* Someone on Reddit is suggesting ‘95% of weird post-update issues, are fixed by a a proper factory reset after an update’ 

I didn’t know this was recommended so perhaps this is where the problem lies. 

Edited by Ross_Mcteague
New information

It makes no difference that your presets are in setlists 1 and 2. It simply means you have overwritten the factory presets in those locations. If you want them you can get them back by doing a factory reset and then moving your own presets to other setlists.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:17 AM, Ross_Mcteague said:

*edit* Someone on Reddit is suggesting ‘95% of weird post-update issues, are fixed by a a proper factory reset after an update’ 

I didn’t know this was recommended so perhaps this is where the problem lies. 

Hi,

Rule number one for when weird stuff starts to happen is perform a Factory Reset. That should put it back to "box fresh" condition.

Uh?  -  Didn't know it was recommended?

It's noted on the Downloads page for HX Edit, and also in the Release Notes for every Firmware Update - here it is at point 3 from the last update to v.3.70.

Updating Helix/HX Hardware (Except For HX One)

1. With Helix/HX connected to your computer, launch HX Edit (3.01 or higher), and make sure you're signed in. HX Edit knows when a new update is available and will walk you through the entire update procedure for both hardware and software, including backing up everything to your computer. IMPORTANT! If you're running HX Edit 3.00 or older, download HX Edit 3.70 and repeat step 1.
  2. If your Helix Floor/Rack/LT is currently running firmware 3.15 or older, halfway through the update to 3.70, Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. Breathe deep, everything is fine. You're almost there.
    • MoveAlong.jpg.178f5fc3b9e6bdeec47d4a5935e47444.jpg
    • HX Edit will display a message indicating the device must be reset. Click resume and wait for the second part of the update to complete.
  3. Perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!
    • Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT
    • Helix Rack: While holding knobs 5 & 6 (2 furthest right knobs below the screen), turn on Helix Rack
    • HX Effects: While holding footswitches 6 & TAP (2 farthest right switches on the bottom row), turn on HX Effects
    • HX Stomp: While holding footswitches 2 & 3, turn on HX Stomp
    • HX Stomp XL: While holding footswitches C & D, turn on HX Stomp
  4. OPTIONAL: Performing a factory reset loads the new 3.70 Factory Presets, but restoring from your backup will overwrite these. Spend some time exploring these and export the factory presets you want to keep (or drag them to your desktop). If you have unused setlists in Helix Floor/Rack/LT, you can also export the entire FACTORY 1 bundle for loading into an unused setlist later.
  5. From the top File menu, select Restore From Backup... If you don't have any important presets in Setlist 1, click the disclosure triangle next to Presets and uncheck the first setlist's box; this will retain 3.70's FACTORY 1 setlist. Select the backup file created in Step 1 and click Restore Backup.

If you run into trouble, check out this link.

Hope this helps?makes sense

Note: This is a useful resource for all things Helix.

https://helixhelp.com

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:26 AM, Ross_Mcteague said:

Amazing - this seems to be the cause of the issue, I’ll do it from now on to stop this happening again. I don’t think you get the prompt to factory reset if you perform your update through HX edit as I usually do (though I can’t say for sure)

Thank you everyone!

That's right. There's no prompt to perform the factory reset. it's a recommendation in the installation instructions as shown above.

On 12/8/2023 at 4:26 PM, Ross_Mcteague said:

Amazing - this seems to be the cause of the issue, I’ll do it from now on to stop this happening again.

Hi,

Good to know that fixed your missing cabs issue. A reset can generally blow out any bugs that may occur, especially after firmware updates, so it’s a good place to start troubleshooting your unit.

Have fun with the new stuff.

Apologies all - I've returned home and been investigating further. I performed the factory reset as instructed above and then loaded my backups. A few things

1) my cabs are missing from EVERY preset where I have the amp and cab seperate (not a combo block of amp/cab)

2) I did a test, I added a cab and backed up my helix. Then I deleted the cab and loaded the backup. The cab didn't return? This means they either aren't backing up properly or something else is going wrong?

3) HX Edit isn't seeing the cabinet. I add it in on the Helix unit and can see it on my helix device, HX edit says it's an empty block. 

Hate to open this up again but I'm very confused by this. 

On 12/8/2023 at 5:32 PM, Ross_Mcteague said:

I  have removed my HX edit software and downloaded a new install, the two are now talking to eachother fine!

Ah, ha! If the first rule of weirdness is the Reset, then the first rule of updating is to install the latest version of HX Edit first.

Once again, this is fully documented in the Release Notes, plus there is a couple of “sticky threads” in here that cover this:-

And this!

Hope this helps/makes sense.