Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

REVERB HELP - SYNTHY ATMOSPHERIC EFFECT

themetallikid

So, against my better judgement of throwing my bass player a bone in song selection, my band is going to cover Garbage's song Stupid Girl.  We have 2 guitars, and the other guitar player is more the bare bones guitar sound sorta guy and I get all the fun parts with effects.   So....   there is almost 0 need for a 2nd guitar, and playing things just to duplicate them makes no sense in this song.  So unless i just walk off stage, grab a beer and wait til it's over (not a bad backup plan)....I need help in dialing in some sort of atmospheric space filler sound.   

Now, i'm completely ignorant, but this type of reverb effect dialing in is not anything i've really done.   I dialed in some space filler type sound for my picking part of another song, but that doesnt transfer well into this song, even with some additional decay/mix/etc parameter editing.  

So.....I just need some guidance on how to approach this.  In my mind it seems like reverb would be the best option....???   

On 12/13/2023 at 3:19 PM, themetallikid said:

So.....I just need some guidance on how to approach this.  In my mind it seems like reverb would be the best option....???   

You didn't say what your 2nd guitar is playing through, but I'm with @DunedinDragon on this, if he's is using a Helix. I have just been messing with the 3 Note generator into the shimmer reverb for making a synth pad effect.

AFAIK, the main chords are F# and B, then D#m and G#m. You can split these chords into basic triads for the 3 Note Gen to playback from foot switches. I was only fooling around with  F# and B by setting the octaves as they would be on a keyboard and then swapping around the waveform shapes - the saw shapes are good. Then you need to figure out how to mix this stuff into the song format you are working with. Try experimenting with this sort stuff - add a phaser or sweep echo.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Stoopid.hlx

See if you can dig something out of this!

Edited by datacommando
Added File
  • Upvote 1

On 12/13/2023 at 12:02 PM, DunedinDragon said:

Maybe the 3 note generator or 4 oscillator combined with other effects to give it more of an "atmosphere" feel?

Appreciate the help.   for the most part there is clean sounded picked notes and a strummed bar chord.   I guess what i'm looking for is something that will take those notes and blossom some background 'fill'   if that makes sense.  

On 12/13/2023 at 8:19 AM, themetallikid said:

.I need help in dialing in some sort of atmospheric space filler sound.

Why not simply volume fade (EXP pedal or guitar knob) into a delay/reverb?  Here's a track I played on/produced for a local artist - no synths, all the pads are just what I mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1