Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I have two Variax JTV guitars and want to copy all of the settings from the 1st guitar to the 2nd one.  I tried to this by saving a Bundle from the 1st one, loading it into the Workshop and then Transferring all of the settings to the 2nd guitar.  That seems to have worked a bit: when I rotate the knob with the presets on it (Lester, Acoustic, etc) they are the same on the 2nd guitar as on the 1st guitar.  But...

The tunings on the 2nd guitar are not the same as the 1st guitar. 

In addition, the 2nd guitar does not work properly with my Helix.  Patches that cause the 1st guitar to change key (electric capo) fail on the 2nd guitar.

Any thoughts?

Did you use Workbench HD to save the Alternate Tunings?

If you did it using the manual method, it won't save to another guitar.

If it is part of a custom patch or bundle saved in Workbench HD and is back-up on your computer,

then it can be transferred using Workbench HD.

I was using Workbench HD, but what you wrote is imprecise.  Not sure what "the manual method" means.  I mentioned that I saved and restored a Bundle.

Can you provide an explicit, step-by-step method for the cloning, please?

Thanks!

Jon

All patches and tunings were generated using Workbench HD.

I did a File, Save Bundle As from the 1st guitar

I connected to the 2nd guitar and did a File, Open Bundle.

I did a Transfer, Upload All to Variax

And the tunings are not transferred.

I do not see any other facilities within Workbench HD for transferring the tunings

Tunings have to be part of the custom patch you create and name, so when you do an Upload All,

everything uploads with it, including the Alt Tune strings. As far as I know, there is no way to do a

Global Alt Tune. That would need a virtual Alt Tune knob for that. So, Alt Tunes are done as part of

each custom patch. 

What is the Flash version you have in your JTV?

Also, the Tuning knob on the JTV has a setting labelled Model. I believe it has to be set to that in order for the Workbench HD-created alternate tunings for the model to be recognized. So it may be that your alternate tunings per model have in fact been downloaded to your guitar from the Workbench HD bundle but are being suppressed by an incorrect setting of the Tuning knob for your purpose.

So.  Not entirely fixed, yet.

If I put the Tune knob on Model for the New Variax, the Helix controls the New Variax correctly.  Progress.

But.  The tunings controlled by the Tune knob are not the same on the Old Variax vs the New Variax.

I still do not understand how to copy all of the tunings from the Old, store them on my computer, and then upload them to the New.

Jon

On 8/31/2024 at 4:19 PM, jon_bondy said:

So.  Not entirely fixed, yet.

If I put the Tune knob on Model for the New Variax, the Helix controls the New Variax correctly.  Progress.

But.  The tunings controlled by the Tune knob are not the same on the Old Variax vs the New Variax.

I still do not understand how to copy all of the tunings from the Old, store them on my computer, and then upload them to the New.

Jon

There’s a section in the Workbench HD manual that described how to manage the Alt Tunings presets associated with the Alt Tuning knob. Perhaps that will help.

Thanks.  I figured it out.  The UI is basically undocumented.  Under Manage, the tunings on the right are stored in the Workbench program, and those on the left are in whatever guitar you have hooked up.  You select one from the left (guitar) and one from the right (Workbench) and then transfer them over, one at a time.

Jon