Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anybody build a nice jazz rig with HD Pod and a JTV59 Variax?

smrybacki

Well, start with Jazzbox position 4 (I can't remember which guitar model this is) and a Fender bassman. Keep the amp drive clean. Turn the tone knob down to taste on the guitar and adjust the amp tone controls. Then try all the different mics. Then try all the different cabs adjusting other amp parameters as you do this. If you still don't get what you want, go to other amps, starting with Fender and repeat the process.

Well, start with Jazzbox position 4 (I can't remember which guitar model this is) and a Fender bassman. Keep the amp drive clean. Turn the tone knob down to taste on the guitar and adjust the amp tone controls. Then try all the different mics. Then try all the different cabs adjusting other amp parameters as you do this. If you still don't get what you want, go to other amps, starting with Fender and repeat the process.

Yeah, that is the basic formula I use, only I use the Twin with the jazzbox model. Some light compression and maybe light(er) chorus and it sounds pretty good, but people use so many different types of rigs to play jazz, I thought I'd ask.  Thanks.

Nice tone I get from position 4 and 5 of the jazzbox, mix with the gibson amp with slight gain, and a comp after the amp, another I use is the deluxe reverb normal, with treble to 4 presence to 0 and mid-bass to 12

Hey, thanks for the idea...I read the model handbook and it says the Gibtone is suitable for jazz tones.  Cool!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that is the basic formula I use, only I use the Twin with the jazzbox model. Some light compression and maybe light(er) chorus and it sounds pretty good, but people use so many different types of rigs to play jazz, I thought I'd ask.  Thanks.

And in case anyone's having trouble finding a good chorus sound, try using the frequency shifter with freq set to 1 or 2 then mix to taste.

• Upvote 1