These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

How does the Vocoder work?
by Hey_Joe on 2010-02-19 18:16:29

How do you make this effect work?

I saw 5 seconds of it demonstrated on that NAMM video.

I can't find any documentation on it.

does anybody know how to set it up???

Re: How does the Vocoder work?
by TheRealZap on 2010-02-19 18:19:54

was kind of thinking that a batch of 2.0 presets would have been great for starters...

but in any case... good question!

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-02-19 18:43:00

The Vocoder can work on a single tone, you don't need to mess with inputs across tone 1 and tone 2.  You plug your mic in and the mic will trigger the sound from your guitar.  It works really really well.

It took a bit of tweaking to get it to actually perform like a Vocoder.

Try this -  I was using the Variax 700 via VDI connection and a shure SM58 mic.  The settings that worked well were:

Input: 100%
Mic: 100%
Decay: 50%
Mix 100%

This worked beautifully when vocoded with chords.  Single notes worked well too but the real vocoder effect came through with chords.

Give that a go.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Hey_Joe on 2010-02-19 21:48:55
You plug your mic in and the mic will trigger the sound from your guitar.  It works really really well.

providing you have a mic with XLR > X3L Microphone INPUT.

correct?

Cheap mic with 1/4" into Aux Input is where I went wrong to test it.

Thanks  Crusty

cheers

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-02-19 22:26:26

Yeah, it assumes the XLR input because you don't have to tell the POD where the mic signal is coming from.

Cheers,

Crusty

by mr_slugworth on 2010-02-20 07:15:18

Is it possible to set it up to work with a mic from the 1/4" aux input, or will it only use the XLR mic input?

by Hey_Joe on 2010-02-20 07:39:11

I tried that and it didn't work  --  that's when I decided to ask the forum how it works.

by AngelVzla on 2010-02-20 13:33:24

ahh too bad i dont have a mic with the right output

by Dbourget on 2010-02-20 15:24:51

Ok, if you have the mike and get it all connected correctly, what does it do?

by Hey_Joe on 2010-02-20 16:27:18

This video will explain your question somewhat

No one has uploaded an X3 Vocoder vid yet to my knowledge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mIvofWF4Do

The X3's Vocoder is a boiled down version of the Electro-Harmonix V256 Vocoder Pedal seen here.

by Hey_Joe on 2010-02-21 13:01:59

They gave me an old Audio Technica ATM41a and a little desk stand at church today when I asked if I could borrow a mic. I tried your formula out and it works like a charm with my 600 and really cool with my Fernandes and it's Sustainer.

Thanks for the tips again Crusty.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-02-21 13:16:22

Cool, I played around with the settings quite a bit and found that formula triggered the sound nicely without the vocals from the mic overriding the guitar.  It's very vocoder-ish isn't it?

Line 6 did a fantastic job on this.  Check out the barber pole too, it's awesome, a very useful effect, one that I have been wanting for quite some time without realising it.

Cheers,

Crusty

by LeonardoCastro on 2010-02-21 14:06:54

Hey_Joe wrote:

This video will explain your question somewhat

No one has uploaded an X3 Vocoder vid yet to my knowledge

Hey_Joe,

There's two videos, made by Alex Machado, showing all the new effects.

Of course, they're quick references.

On the second one, we can see (at about 5m53s) the Vocoder in action:

The first video of the new effects was posted here:

http://line6.com/community/thread/26754?tstart=0

The new videos are spoken in English.

Regards,

Leonardo.

by Hey_Joe on 2010-02-21 15:40:44

Yeah Leonardo,

I didn't see those last night when I posted.

I watched those this morning...Alex is right on top of things.

I noticed he wasn't to fond of the V-Tron yet.

I have been playing around with his ideas from the other videos to crank the volume on the amps to zap the pre amps. He's full of good ideas and his video making is getting better too (not that the first ones were bad).

Crusty -

maybe my mic not the best, it was free so I'm not complaining but it looks like I will have some tweaking to do and vocalizing tricks to keep it from clipping. Seems like a definite POST effect, I think?

I am eager to see what tips others come up with on some of the other new goodies Line6 gave us.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-02-22 01:51:40

Defintely a Post effect if using a guitar amp model because the levels are very dynamic and will go from nothing to heavily overdriven if shoved into a guitar amp model.

Cheers,

Crusty

by YaketyYak on 2010-03-02 00:52:47

Ok i'm using POD X3 PRO, so what's the correct input setting to get this vocoder working...? Beats me...

by Hey_Joe on 2010-03-02 21:17:20

this helped me get started

http://line6.com/community/message/121673#121673

by YaketyYak on 2010-03-03 01:26:56

Nope. problems with input settings - gtr 1 or mic 1 can't get them both... Guess i'll give up for now.

by Hey_Joe on 2010-03-03 04:20:42

I do this: Guitar/Variax In (you  - Guitar In if no Variax) and Same  - oddly enough, no Mic In at all.

I think Alex Machado's video on the update shows how he uses it

http://line6.com/community/message/121992#121992

by silverhead on 2010-03-03 06:27:27

Use Guitar as your Input setting for the Tone. When you select and turn on the Vocoder as an effect for the Tone the X3 will automatically start to use the Mic Input as a trigger for the guitar. Your guitar will no longer sound (even thought it remains the selected input for the Tone) until the X3 detects a signal at the Mic input.

by YaketyYak on 2010-03-03 07:38:38

Guitar still sounds (like a banjo) with those settings... Something is still wrong, can't just figure out what.

Maybe wrong kind of mic ...? I'm using T-bone GM-55 (Elvis-style mic) ?

by keepsix on 2010-03-13 10:25:48

Love the vocoder tried youre settings worked right away thnx.Im having a problem whith feed back tried sm58 and sm57 and pevey pro vocal mic the 57 was the best so far.I cant get the mic trimed verry good.With trim at full the mics sensitivity works great soon as i try a low tone it feeds back badly.When i turn the trim down slightly like 2% i have to start yelling into the mic to get to work.Im playing a ZION with emg pic ups and fender 900 poweramp into two 4x12 marshall cabs.I would really like to use this effect live in rehersle.halfsnapped malones jan 06 014.jpg

by YaketyYak on 2010-03-22 05:56:48

Vocoder works with my X3 live. but not with X3 pro...?

by skeletor88 on 2010-07-04 01:12:59

I seem to be getting constant guitar signal being affected by the vocoder, but when I talk, my voice is not heard at all.

I have my guitar in the guitar input 1 and my mic in the mic input 1 and the input setting as tone 1 as GTR1 and tone 2 as SAME.

So basically what I'm saying is I dont have to speak in my mic to trigger the guitar to be heard. No vocals are coming through at all.

any help?

cheers!

by Hey_Joe on 2010-07-05 10:20:27

The only way I can reproduce what is happening to you is to not have the MOD turned on. If the INPUTS are Guitar/Tone 1 & Same/Tone 2, I can only hear the guitar and no vocals with the MOD turned off when the Vocoder is selected.

I don't know what else to tell you. Do the 11 other ver. 2.0 effects work properly? Maybe you need to re-flash???

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.