Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Back at it again DT25 vs DT50

thomaswhudson

Ok so basically i think i have decided to not pick up a DT50 even though i have found a few used ones for really good prices. The weight of the thing is basically whats making me shy away. I am not a pro and i will probably not make much money if any playing around. 

So with that being said i am thinking that the DT25 combo and a ext cab should be enough for practice, playing at home, and small venues. Thoughts?

Also i should not even consider an Amplifi right? 

DT25 would be plenty enough for small venues. I use a DT25 combo any small and even used it at some outside venues with not problem. It really is much louder than I would expect. 

Althought the Combo wieghts in @ 50lb. It ain't a light weight. 

Should you consider Amplifi? I dunno depends on what you want and like out of an Amp. For home practice Amplifi unit is probably pretty nice, that is what it was targeted for. Plus it has likely way more models build into it than the DT alone does.  However; you add a HD500(x) with it and you have more than the Amplifi does and HD models too, The the Amplifi is the X3 models. So which fits you better? Depends on what you want. Both could likely fit you needs. The DT is going to sound better, but the Amplifi could likely works and might be better in the home practice area. Plus there is pretty big differences in the prices of each.

For me the DT25 is alread plenty heavy. In retrospect I should have bought a separate amp and cab, but if you think already about having a cab of move, a combo may be a better choice so you drag one less piece around.

Can't talk about how far the DT25 volume wil go in 'small' venues.I have never been able to use all its volume, but my use is really small (others report it is fine for mid size clubs and using its direct out or a mic to a house system is a better way to expand while keeping your hearing ...

Some here on the Forum use the combo and a cab and are very happy about sound combination and general usablility of this 'stack'.

Unless you already have a cab, I would not buy a DT25 combo AND a cab right away. Check what you got with the combo (or separate amp and cab) alone first.

Can't talk to Amplifi. May do the job for you, but seems to be more geared towards the hobby croud (having said that, there is nothing wrong with that as long as it does what you want, and Amplift is easier to deal with sound programming wise, I think).

I am sure others will chime in ...

Good luck and enjoy (I do mine),

Martin

I do have a marshall 4x12 cab but i really dont want to lug it around too. So the combo plus the line 6 cab (which is much smaller) seems more ideal to me. Although maybe going with the dt25 head and ext cab might be a better route to take since it breaks up the weight some and is still smallish

You don't need to get a DT50 to have great tone and a great time playing guitar. Sometimes, I use a UX2/GX into a Jet City Picovalve Head & Cab with great reults.

If your interested in the DT line get the DT25. I prefer the Head and Cab.

I have the DT50 112 and the DT25 head cab....

The DT25 is great for practice rehearsals and playing out with it has worked for me to a degree....However, the few times I have played out with the DT25 as my only amp, I have used one of my 212 cabs instead of the stock cab...more sources...

The real issue I have with the DT25 in a group situation when the amp is pushed is that the clean tones suffer a little bit...with better monitors pushing is less of an issue...But clean tones do suffer just playing next to a rock drummer with a real kit with no monitors....I have run it on 412 cab also and that really helps the cleans in louder situations...The amp is just a bit underpowered for cleans IMO, but that actually make it great for getting a cranked tone...both are great amplifiers...

The real issue I have with the DT25 in a group situation when the amp is pushed is that the clean tones suffer a little bit...with better monitors pushing is less of an issue...But clean tones do suffer just playing next to a rock drummer with a real kit with no monitors....I have run it on 412 cab also and that really helps the cleans in louder situations...The amp is just a bit underpowered for cleans IMO, but that actually make it great for getting a cranked tone...both are great amplifiers...

I would agreee with you on that. Personally I like that bit of grit in my clean tones but that is something to consider if your want a totally clean tones, 25 watts is not much headroom.

I don't mind grit in my clean tones, i actually prefer it as well. So that should not be an issue.

I like some grit too...It's not the grit so much as the dynamic range...That's a power thing...Instead of "spank"...it goes "splunk"...

I guess the only analogy I can think of is Setzer...Gretch into a Bassman....Basssman can have a really nice nice pushed clean vibe...but still has the dynamic feel that is sorta like a Twin, jsut not quite a clean....grit is isn't my issue with the DT25 cleans in a louder situation...it's just that the power section compresses the transients a bit too much when pushed...

I guess the only analogy I can think of is Setzer...Gretch into a Bassman....Basssman can have a really nice nice pushed clean vibe...but still has the dynamic feel that is sorta like a Twin, jsut not quite a clean....grit is isn't my issue with the DT25 cleans in a louder situation...it's just that the power section compresses the transients a bit too much when pushed...

To me that is the sound a clean amp pushed really hard....  Where as the a Twin never really gets any real grit on it's own, just get louder. But to each his own I guess. Never really thought about the headroom becuase I like the lower headroom, but I could for sure see it for those that like the higher headroom amps.

Yea i think i might just go ahead order the head and ext. cab. If i need more i will get a second cab. 

Check out this thread; for what it's worth, user 'russgoos' has a photo up of his dual combo-cabinet stacks! (two DT25 combos on top of two DT25 cabs)

http://line6.com/support/topic/12014-dt25-combo-vs-headcab/