Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to monitor ONLY through DAW (not POD HD) in USB mode??

bc05

Hey guys

One more question

Is there a way to turn OFF the sound of the POD HD ampsim when using as a USB Interface? For example, so that when playing along with track in Cubase I only hear the guitar tone when I press the "monitor" button in the DAW and not ALL THE TIME?

This will help me monitor it through cab impulses and other plugins in Cubase which help the sound tremendously!

Thanks

depends on the DAW.. most will let you set the output separate from the input... you will get bad latency though...enough that it is impossible to play along...and record...

as for question 2, no, but you can leave hdedit running in the background and turn off the amp from it (Any effects will still be running though

Thanks - the thing is this guy in the video is evidently NOT recording via USB as if he was the POD HD would be the Audio Device.

What I want is to record via USB and ONLY hear the Pod sound when the track in Cubase is in "Monitor" mode.

As it stands the guitar amp is ALWAYS blaring when playing and is doubled and awful when the "Monitor" button is engaged..

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS?

Hey guys

One more question

Is there a way to turn OFF the sound of the POD HD ampsim when using as a USB Interface? For example, so that when playing along with track in Cubase I only hear the guitar tone when I press the "monitor" button in the DAW and not ALL THE TIME?

If you're using the HD as your soundcard (and it sounds like you are) there is no straight forward way to do this in the POD itself.  I think there was in the previous PODS (the XT X3 line), but this POD is limited.  As I recall, what's happening is you are hearing both the HD's direct output of the POD, which then goes through the DAW and, with the monitor on, puts the DAW's output (in this case the HD with all your plugins) through the POD again. So what that means is you have to mute the HD's direct output, while the DAW still receives the HD's signal  This you cannot do via USB. BUT, I think if you use the S/PDIF as your DAW's input, there might be a way to do this. I know you can only do reamping with the S/PDIF and not via the USB (llike you could with the XT/X3 line). I'm not at my POD and it's been awhile since I looked into this so I may not have this exactly right.

I think this might be a Windows thing. You want Windows to pass USB audio to Cubase but not to the monitors. You want only Cubase to send audio to the monitors. Look in the Windows mixer controls to find the combination that works. I can't give you more clues because I use SPDIF, not USB, into an external sound card.

I guess I didn't understand the question.. for me, running the HD into my UX2 (line out into the UX2's input) I do not hear guitar unless I arm and monitor the track in ANY DAW.. the Pod studio UX2 is my soundcard/usb interface

What hughanico said - turn down the hardware monitoring level to 0.  

I have done this before to test Impulse Responses and discovered that in headphones with the free RedWirez IRs that there is little difference to .the same selection of HD Cab + mic; unless you layer 3 or more when it sounds huge; except that if you then put that into backline FRFR then the effect is lost and you might as well have stuck with the HD Cabs.

I don't know if the guy in the video is using the POD as the recording soundcard, but I just noticed that he's using the asio4all generic driver, so maybe he's using instead the PC soundcard..

however the best solution is the one I wrote under the video clip, i.e. you have to turn down all on the left the monitor (called hardware monitor level) level by using the Line6 Audio-Midi-Devices panel, and turn on the "monitor" on the track you are going to record..

it will work as you need but you'll get also some latency for the live sound

THANK YOU THIS WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

• Upvote 1

I've tried this and the latency was too much.

I think it's because ASIO uses one device so that it can monitor the input and output.

By monitoring the input and output that way the DAW can then synchronise the 2 so they are usable.

Remember Cubase reads ahead to try and minimise the latency.

I still use a M-Audio sound card for recording/playback and the USB just for the LIne 6 Edit

• 3 months later...

If you're using the HD as your soundcard (and it sounds like you are) there is no straight forward way to do this in the POD itself.  I think there was in the previous PODS (the XT X3 line), but this POD is limited.  As I recall, what's happening is you are hearing both the HD's direct output of the POD, which then goes through the DAW and, with the monitor on, puts the DAW's output (in this case the HD with all your plugins) through the POD again. So what that means is you have to mute the HD's direct output, while the DAW still receives the HD's signal  This you cannot do via USB. BUT, I think if you use the S/PDIF as your DAW's input, there might be a way to do this. I know you can only do reamping with the S/PDIF and not via the USB (llike you could with the XT/X3 line). I'm not at my POD and it's been awhile since I looked into this so I may not have this exactly right.

I'll tell you, I owned the original 2.0 and used it for a decade then went to a X3 Pro and what an amazing unit!!! I've owned and sold the POD HD Pro and kept just for traveling my POD HD but that is going as well! I get EXACTLY what bc05 is asking and it is valid......he wants to shut the amp sims direct out OFF from the main outs and JUST route through USB and control his volume within the DAW and YOU CANNOT with this thing!!!!!!!!!!!! You get your DAW tracks through the same outputs and the POD is too damn loud....and since you can't route the signal OFF from the same outs it is useless ALONE to record with UNLESS you use it into another interface. Pretty shoddy on Line 6 now that Yamaha is running/ruining them.

I'll tell you, I owned the original 2.0 and used it for a decade then went to a X3 Pro and what an amazing unit!!! I've owned and sold the POD HD Pro and kept just for traveling my POD HD but that is going as well! I get EXACTLY what bc05 is asking and it is valid......he wants to shut the amp sims direct out OFF from the main outs and JUST route through USB and control his volume within the DAW and YOU CANNOT with this thing!!!!!!!!!!!! You get your DAW tracks through the same outputs and the POD is too damn loud....and since you can't route the signal OFF from the same outs it is useless ALONE to record with UNLESS you use it into another interface. Pretty shoddy on Line 6 now that Yamaha is running/ruining them.

I agree. I think the HD500 was just quickly pushed out to use some of the new technology being explored while developing the Helix. I mean EQ in percentages? C'mon! Ya didn't even take the time to make that useable? Oh well, I bought it. Didn't have too.

• 3 weeks later...