Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD pro to racked amplifier to PA. and now the CONNECTIONS..

GMJV

helllo my fellow man, definitely have been dying to create my first pod post and im already a year old user, procrastination is a harlot but uh this here sitiuation had to be brought up to the boys for this here noobeh. thanks aton.

so here is my desired signal chain:

---PODHDPRO--crownXLS1500 rack'd amp--PeaveySP-2 600wPA speakers---

First question: shall i run the outputs of the pod hd into the crownXLS using balanced(XLR) or unbalanced(1/4)  i plan to use the pa speaker for all around use, from band practice, to live, and to just me riffing off on myself. i want clarity like most and im playing an electric guitar with a back track from desktop btw...

Second question: i also have a  yamaha emx 640 6channel mixer i could put in the signal chain right after the power amp and then into pa speakers but  honestly i have no clue if thats is useless or necessary..?

(i have been using studio monitors when writing but im just tired of it sounding like runny shards when i plug into my spider iv combo amp or our other pa system for practice)

Third question: would you guys recomend using an old arse pa like the peavey sp-2ti 600w for this setup or should i go with another rig setup approach.

i always thought just my pod hd pro to pa system would do but apparently not but im not to sure on this point, so far im just following directions of a god-like guitarist friend of miine (refering to new power amp addition). id like to say the help would be for the greater good lol but i appreciate all who read this.

For very short runs, the 1/4" unbalanced should be just fine.

The Yamaha EMX-640 has its own power amp section.  You could cut the Crown out altogether.  In any case, I don't think that running a power amp (Crown) into a power amp (Yamaha) is a good idea.

I prefer Pod to PA. But, to each, their own. 

Given that you want to use an amp, here's my suggestion: 

First decide if you want to go direct or use a mic. 

If you are going to mic your speaker, use the XLR into your amp. 

If you are going to go direct, use the 1/4" into your amp. 

You could either use the powered mixer, or the crown, but both would be redundant. Even if you can bypass the poweramp of the mixer somehow, I don't really see the point of doing so. I run a single XLR cable from my pod to a bridged channel on my poweramp, and directly into speakers. Simple.