Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Transferring to new computer

alienux

I have a new computer that I'd like to move my HD500X and Monkey, HD500X Edit, etc. to.

I've read horror stories about people having trouble getting a POD set up on their computer when buying it from another owner, but in this case, it's just my POD that I purchased new, so I'm the original owner.

Are there any gotchas or recommendations for just moving from an old PC to a new one? I'm moving from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Edit: I also have the model packs. Is there anything additional to move/set up for those on the new computer for HD500X Edit to be able to use them?

Windows 10 is going to be the problem. It has been giving a lot of people a lot of problems ~~ or at least did in the past. 

I can't speak for the model packs, but everything else is will be fine. Just download monkey and the rest should take care of itself.  

There is something somewhere called 'authorized computers'. I don't know what that is, and I haven't run into it. But it has to do with things that cost you money (such as model packs?). I have my EDIT on multiple computers because I am often in different locations for extended periods of time. And I have not had any issues.

The model packs shouldn't present any problems. They are inside the device itself whether you like it or not. So nothing to do there. The only other thing about the model packs and their use is to make sure you use the latest version of HD Edit, version 2.26, if you use that program, otherwise they won't show up, or there will be empty entries where the new models should be.

As far as any problems with your new computer and operating system, it's probably going to be dependent on the hardware implementation of the USB on your new computer. Chances are there won't be any problems.

NO PROBLEM with Windows 10 pro 64 bits

What you need to do in the following order:

- Download  Line 6 Monkey & HD 500X edit

- Install at the first time POD HD500 X EDIT  (AS ADMIN)  

Follow the instruction to unplug & plug the usb cable to install the driver YOU NEED TO SEE That Windows recognize your POD 500x

AFTER launch one time the Pod HD edit  500X close it

Now install Line 6 Monkey (as admin)  and proceed to log in & updating all

Also to keep your saved patches they are into My Document>line6>pod Hd 500x>tones

you can copy this map to an usb to paste it into the same map of your new PC

That's all

Normaly , I say Normaly no problemo

A lot of people install Line 6 Monkey first and that's the problem!!

FIRST HD EDIT

I have a different take on it. My old computer died not long ago and I got a new Dell i7 Inspiron 5737 with Win 8.1 and upgraded to the free Windows 10. I didn't expereince anything alarming and the first thing I installed was Line 6 Monkey. Then through Monkey chose HD500 without it plugged in then installed the drivers for the HD500. After that I installed HD Edit through Monkey then plugged in the Pod and let it connect. After it connected I opened Monkey to see if I had green check marks for the things I installed. Then I opened the License Manager and made sure it was authorized along with the computer. It's been working fine ever since.

Keep in mind I didn't buy the model packs yet so I didn't have to check that but I would think License Manager would help you along if you read what it says.

I save any files that are important to me on an external hard drive so I always have them separate from the computer.

I realize it seems everyone has a different experience so it's a very subjective subject. Good Luck with it and I hope it goes smoothly for you.

• Upvote 1

I do the same thing as Brazzy - install Line 6 Monkey first then drivers and Edit using Line 6 Monkey. Lastly, License Manager to authorize new computer and remove old one. I suspect you won't need to do anything specific about the model packs. If you were using them with the old computer they are already authorized to your account and are activated in your device. Switching computers shouldn't affect that, but you need to authorize your new computer anyway.

• Upvote 1

I do the same thing as Brazzy - install Line 6 Monkey first then drivers and Edit using Line 6 Monkey. Lastly, License Manager to authorize new computer and remove old one. I suspect you won't need to do anything specific about the model packs. If you were using them with the old computer they are already authorized to your account and are activated in your device. Switching computers shouldn't affect that, but you need to authorize your new computer anyway.

What would he have to authorize his computer for?

What would he have to authorize his computer for?

For standalone operation of the HD500 there's no need. It will continue to see the model packs as before. However, anything that requires the computer might no longer operate properly (Edit, DAW, Monkey for firmware update/reinstall, ...). But I'm just guessing here.......

I used to use HD Edit all the time and never authorized my computer for anything, and have the model packs. Also, DAW (I didn't know Line 6 made this?) and Monkey for firmware updates don't need the computer to be authorized. The computer listing is likely there for their software modelers, which would be tied to your computer.

The only way to get the model packs out of the device itself, as far as I know, is to use the licensing program while the device is connected via USB, and then manually deauthorize it. Or deauthorize the device in question via your Line 6 support account, and then use the license program to check the devices status.

• Upvote 1

I had to take a look at the FAQ's about HD Model Packs Installation and License Manager since my curiosity got the best of me, lol.

LOL, I just learned how to turn off the Global EQ. Always learning something new. Didn't realize that all I had to do was hit enter while in the Global EQ to jog between on & off.

Edited by Brazzy

For standalone operation of the HD500 there's no need. It will continue to see the model packs as before. However, anything that requires the computer might no longer operate properly (Edit, DAW, Monkey for firmware update/reinstall, ...). But I'm just guessing here.......

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. I know that the POD itself won't be affected by the authorization, I just wasn't sure if Edit would see all of the models from the POD on my computer when I connect it if I missed an authorization step or something like that.

Thanks for all of the answers everyone. Sounds like it should be pretty straightforward. Still, I'm going to wait until after playing this weekend to proceed.