Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

LOOKING FOR A GOOD SCALE PRACTICE TOOL

davelaclair

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF ANY GOOD PRACTICE TOOLS FOR GUITAR FOR SCALES AND CHORDS?

THANKYOU

DAVE LA CLAIR

If you like DVD as practice tools there are a couple of goods ones by Lick Library. A buddy had a few covering the modes and they were pretty nice with jam tracks. They were a lot easier for him then me showing him, then sending him home with my scribbles on paper. :) Check out their website as the do have a lot of courses tons of good starter ones.

• 2 weeks later...

"Tab Tool Kit" is an app that can read Guitar Pro and Power Tab files as well as store PDFs.  For the Tab files it can playback with speed control.  Pretty good practice tool for learning songs, and there are plenty of lesson materials out there in Guitar Pro format.  Its also cheaper than guitar pro software and runs on your iPhone.

That's a cool app. If they made an Android version I'd be all overit.

Have a look at my post above for an android app.

One of the reasons I like it is it has a reverse lookup for chords and scales. A lot of times when I write something, I don't pay attention at all to scales or chords and I become curious afterwards about a name for what I just did. Wonderful function.

What has ever become of that old thing we used to call --- find a teacher and take lessons. 

Everything is now an app or a site. 

And probably all free, right? 

No one is willing to spend any money, but everyone wants paid themselves! 

Teachers are still around all over the place. Not hard to find.

I remember when I took lessons, there were no computers around, no phones connected to sophisticated wireless networks, tablets, etc. You even had to get up from the chair to change the channel on the TV! Looking back from now, this was not easy.

But things change. Times are certainly not the same, nor will they ever be. There are so many more options and tools for learning to play guitar nowadays than there ever was previously. I wish I could go back in time and drag what exists today back then. It would make learning guitar so much easier and quicker.

The things you need to actually be good at guitar haven't changed though. Which is inspiration, motivation, persistence and emotion, to name a few. I don't see technology replacing things like that anytime soon. Music is the melding of emotion and mathematics. The mathematical component could be replaced, but what about the human component?

I say ignore the type of person you're pointing out. They'll likely never be a good musician in the first place, but on the other hand, maybe they will? Things like apps, or a website, etc. open up more options for more people. Isn't that good?

I used to take tab from Guitar World or Guitar for the Practicing Musician look at the progression and lay it down on cassette. They used to answering machine tapes where it would loop after say 30 seconds. I could then run the scales for leads over those. A DAW would do the same for ya.

A great teacher is priceless but the learning part has to be in the woodshed.

What has ever become of that old thing we used to call --- find a teacher and take lessons.

Well, I suppose if they really need to satisfy the techy part if the equation, but still want to pay an actual human for a guitar lesson, there's always Skype...no need to move off the couch. Fine-tune your chops and elevate your blood sugar simultaneously!...'Murica!!! ;).

Have a look at my post above for an android app.

One of the reasons I like it is it has a reverse lookup for chords and scales. A lot of times when I write something, I don't pay attention at all to scales or chords and I become curious afterwards about a name for what I just did. Wonderful function.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Not an option for everyone.

I'd be perfectly willing to pay for decent lessons but I live 3 hours from the nearest traffic light, in the middle of Nevada, and there are only a handful of players here, none of whom teach.  I'm actually one of the better players out here, which isn't saying much, and I'm teaching a couple friends for free.

The good teaching sites that I've been considering aren't free, except for JustinGuitar which has a donate feature that I'll make use of if I go that route.

I play for my own pleasure and don't expect to get paid.

If people are willing to put teaching material out there for free, I can't really fault anyone for taking advantage of it.