Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

headphones and speakers, important advice :)

elvissideburns84

Hi :)

I have just bought the podhd500x and cant wait for it to arrive. I have been reading up about headphones and have read a bit about frfr,

If someone could help I would be very thankful :)

What are the best headphones or ones that work well for you with the pod? My budget is around 100 pounds :)

Also, is frfr like studio monitor speakers or something else? how much would a set up of that cost? are headphones frfr or just speakers?

Im confused by it all but if someone could help clear it up that would be really great, thanks :)

Hi :)

I have just bought the podhd500x and cant wait for it to arrive. I have been reading up about headphones and have read a bit about frfr,

If someone could help I would be very thankful :)

What are the best headphones or ones that work well for you with the pod? My budget is around 100 pounds :)

Also, is frfr like studio monitor speakers or something else? how much would a set up of that cost? are headphones frfr or just speakers?

Im confused by it all but if someone could help clear it up that would be really great, thanks :)

Yes studio headphones is what your looking for.

FR - FULL RANGE - the full range of human hearing (20Hz to 20kHz).

FR - FLAT RESPONSE - the original signal is not "colored" in any way by the equipment used to reproduce it. If this quality of equipment existed in the real world, there wouldn't be 10,000 different FRFR solutions available. Knowing people, it would probably be the one that most think sounds like crap.

The best you can do is try out as many of these systems as you can find in your price range, and get the one that sounds best to you. I settled on the KRK ROKIT6 for studio monitors. I can't afford a LIVE FRFR solution, so I just go thru my Blackstar HT5C (has a 'HiFi' type power tube, not any of the standard guitar amp tubes) in 4 cm configuration using the POD full amp with no cab in Studio Direct mode (sounds best to me, YMMV). I use that as a stage monitor (we're not too loud) and send a direct and a mic'd signal to the board and pray the sound guy doesn't f it up too badly.

Odds are, whatever you hear in your headphones (try out as many of these systems as you can find in your price range) won't be what you hear in your stage system, nor will it sound the same when comes out of the FOH speakers.

Remember that what sounds good to me (and you) will be different from what sounds good to everybody else on every other forum that you visit. Unless money is no object, the best you can do is try out as many of these systems as you can find in your price range, and get the one that sounds best to you (and expect it to sound different when you get it into your personal acoustic environment).

In Summary:

the best you can do is try out as many of these systems as you can find in your price range, and get the one that sounds best to you

I keep repeating that because it's the only absolute answer to your questions.

Good Luck!

• Upvote 2

Hm. 'Sounds best' is not only a complete personal thing, it could (unfortunately) end up in buying a speaker-system that is truly not FRFR, if you use your POD for sound comparison. In that case you could end up in another RRCC (Reduced-Range-Colored-Cab) which only looks like a monitor or pa-speaker.

I would advice to check the FRFR speaker with audio-files of songs you know and like.

And for live usages your speaker should have a minimum of 300 Watt RMA (more headroom is depending on the loudness of your drummer and 2nd guitar).

Check out tech-specs and understand their meaning!

For example check out the specs of my Yamaha DBR12 which offers some DSP features which are a benefit, especially when you use your FRFR as a monitor on a wooden stage.

• Upvote 1

On the limited budget your talking about I think you're more likely to get an FRFR style setup using some small studio monitors rather than a pair of headphones.  Most of the studio headphones that would even come close to an uncolored full range are going to be MUCH higher in price than your budget allows.  But there's a nice range of small studio reference monitors that fit the bill.

On the limited budget your talking about I think you're more likely to get an FRFR style setup using some small studio monitors rather than a pair of headphones. Most of the studio headphones that would even come close to an uncolored full range are going to be MUCH higher in price than your budget allows. But there's a nice range of small studio reference monitors that fit the bill.

I wouldn't say that at all. 100 GBP is currently about $145. I've been using AKG K240S headphones for years, which are generally around a hundred bucks, and serve me quite well for creating patches and late night playing/recording. The tones translate very well to my L2T...not identical of course, but damn close, requiring only slight tweaking from one to the other.

Just found this site: http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

They've got frequency response curves for dozens of different brands/models of headphones. You can compare up to 4 pairs at once, and see just how close to a flat response they have...pretty cool. The ones I've got are not profiled of course, lol...but I stand by them nonetheless. ;)