Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Editor? How 'bout a real-time, live performance UI?

jkuche

For live use. Basically all the effect chain manipulations , including effects, EQ, amp parameters, etc, ideally on a tablet and ideally wireless ( open can of worms here). Would entail tablet OS , such as Android ( open another can ).  Similar to Firehawk tablet UI.

Why? To make changes in live sound based on room, guitar, band, vibe, and spur-of-the-moment variables/urges.

Sorry to beat a dead horse , but I really can't read the UI on the floor that easily, nor make changes even with foot editing. 

thoughts?

My thought is that since I already use my iPad for my Firehawk 1500 I wouldn't mine having the same thing for Helix, as long as I was not restricted to "just" the iPad like I am with the Firehawk 1500 editor. In other words, Id like um both for both my desktop AND the iPad...

For live use. Basically all the effect chain manipulations , including effects, EQ, amp parameters, etc, ideally on a tablet and ideally wireless ( open can of worms here). Would entail tablet OS , such as Android ( open another can ).  Similar to Firehawk tablet UI.

Why? To make changes in live sound based on room, guitar, band, vibe, and spur-of-the-moment variables/urges.

Sorry to beat a dead horse , but I really can't read the UI on the floor that easily, nor make changes even with foot editing. 

thoughts?

I wouldn't get much use out of such a thing personally.  Whatever changes I need to make come at rehearsal or sound check.  Once the gig starts it's too late to be modifying stuff whether it's by foot or by tablet.  I've used a tablet before and it ended up being one more thing I had to get hooked up and didn't use.  With the ease of use on the Helix, I can make the changes at sound check or rehearsal just as quick as any tablet.

I don't think you could do it with no wires without some sort of additional networking/bluetooth hardware on the device, but I can't think of a time where I've ever actually needed to edit anything DURING a gig. If something is fishy during soundcheck its no big deal to lean over and edit something real quick. For my use, I want as little hardware and as few possible points of failure on stage as possible, but I can see where, especially if someone is one who is constantly dicking around with pedals between songs, etc, that it might come in handy.

DI has said that Bluetooth was essentially a non-starter because of how much additional data is needed for a Helix preset compared to a Firehawk preset. If you had something like Microsoft Surface, I suppose you could actually just use the USB connection live. I don't know if I'd want to try that, though.

This topic has come up before and as phil_m points out there may be some lag for live use but there are a couple of ways you could pull it off.  Both methods would use the Helix Editor. The first method is completely wired and the second is semi-wireless.

1. Use a Windows tablet with a USB port on a mic stand holder or music stand wired directly to the Helix. 
  2. Use a Windows or Mac wired to the Helix and then use a remote desktop such as the ones described below with a wireless tablet connection, again on a mic stand holder or music stand.

http://www.geek.com/apple/the-5-best-remote-desktop-apps-for-ipad-1565111/

Here is a previous topic link from radatats exploring the Splashtop app:

http://line6.com/support/topic/19535-control-helix-app-from-ipad-or-android-tablet/?hl=splashtop

I do agree it is best to have your presets pretty much dialed in before the show but I have had the iPad on a mic stand control over my pedalboard setup with a different MFX unit and although I rarely used it live, I have to admit it was easy to access and to see and not that different from folks who keep rackmounts within arm's reach. That setup was actually most useful for making adjustments during band practice where I used it quite a bit. I knew some guys once in a sort of underground punk/alt/techno (genres are so confusing) "band" who had a guitarist who sometimes never actually removed the guitar from its case but just had a series of pedals he spun dials on and various objects to bang the guitar with (still in its open case). Or, maybe you are five guitarists in an ambient band who just want to play with Helix settings synched to the light show. Who am I to judge?   :D The Helix does have the unique and most nifty ability to be programmed from the footswitches and expression pedal while standing up (particularly barefoot) although I wonder how many people are actually using it.  I definitely fall in the camp that thinks Bluetooth or WIFI "live UI" or editor control would have been a great feature.

Here is a previous topic link from radatats exploring the Splashtop app:

http://line6.com/support/topic/19535-control-helix-app-from-ipad-or-android-tablet/?hl=splashtop

Thanks to all for the feedback, and thanks for the re-direction to this great thread , which seems like problem solved-

Control Helix App From iPad or Android Tablet
Started by radatatsApr 02 2016 07:24 AM

Seems the "tweak-before-the-show" camp has majority sway.  As for playing electric guitar in worship and cover bands,  I pretty much  "set it and forget it ". But I still get the urge to fool around with settings live. I play mostly acoustic in a string band. We practice unplugged , so I am not getting much practice time tweaking delay trails and such ( yes - delay trails  in a string band...  " genres are confusing"  ). I also run into all kinds of different rooms and stage sounds, etc.  In my scenario, it's troublesome to plug everything in to tweak things at home. And the acoustic use goes back to previously opened topics on Helix for acoustic guitar.

Have fun !