Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic Guitar Helix Players: Can I hear your best tone?

billlorentzen

I've been working on my Helix acoustic patch, using one of the ubiquitous Taylor IRs, and this is the best I've gotten so far. I'm really curious to hear other people's best tones, for purposes of knowing how good it can sound and learning how to improve my own.

This is an Eastman Grand Auditorium (similar to a Taylor, with a rather poor-sounding Fishman undersaddle piezo). I rolled off some highs and reduced the output on the guitar itself. Helix chain is: Graphic EQ, Taylor U87 IR, Parametric EQ, Deluxe Comp, Delay, Plate Reverb.

I played a simple G, C, D strumming thing, with a little single note run at the end. This should be easy to duplicate. I'm mostly interested in optimizing the strumming sound, which I find to be the Achilles heel of most guitar pickup systems.

If you have done some work on this type of patch and would like to share your sound in a clip, or have suggestions for how you get your best sound, please share! Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/billlorentzen/acoustic-patch-helix-u87-eastman

I've been working on my Helix acoustic patch, using one of the ubiquitous Taylor IRs, and this is the best I've gotten so far. I'm really curious to hear other people's best tones, for purposes of knowing how good it can sound and learning how to improve my own.

This is an Eastman Grand Auditorium (similar to a Taylor, with a rather poor-sounding Fishman undersaddle piezo). I rolled off some highs and reduced the output on the guitar itself. Helix chain is: Graphic EQ, Taylor U87 IR, Parametric EQ, Deluxe Comp, Delay, Plate Reverb.

I played a simple G, C, D strumming thing, with a little single note run at the end. This should be easy to duplicate. I'm mostly interested in optimizing the strumming sound, which I find to be the Achilles heel of most guitar pickup systems.

If you have done some work on this type of patch and would like to share your sound in a clip, or have suggestions for how you get your best sound, please share! Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/billlorentzen/acoustic-patch-helix-u87-eastman

I've had really good results using the acoustic modeling with the Variax.  I haven't really messed around with IR's for acoustic yet.  I've heard good things about the 3 Sigma acoustic IR's.  

I just posted a video for the Helix Italia Facebook group using the acoustic settings.  Just skip to 1:00 or so in the video to get to the playing.  If you like the tone this is the patch I used:  http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1967148/

I've tweaked it a little bit since I posted it, but just some minor EQ adjustments.  As with any patch you download, if you use it you'll need to tweak it to your guitar.  

hi there... I downloaded your patch and I using an original Les Paul Tradional. But I dont know, what parameters I have to change, that my guitar sounds as good as yours in your video...I'm newbei in Helix. Can you give my any tips?

greetings

Markus

I've had really good results using the acoustic modeling with the Variax. I haven't really messed around with IR's for acoustic yet. I've heard good things about the 3 Sigma acoustic IR's.

I just posted a video for the Helix Italia Facebook group using the acoustic settings. Just skip to 1:00 or so in the video to get to the playing. If you like the tone this is the patch I used: http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1967148/

I've tweaked it a little bit since I posted it, but just some minor EQ adjustments. As with any patch you download, if you use it you'll need to tweak it to your guitar.

https://youtu.be/dyJMoBQqvQk

Sounds very good indeed! Will download from custom tone to see if I can intergrate it into my all on one snapshot patches 😀

• Upvote 1

hi there... I downloaded your patch and I using an original Les Paul Tradional. But I dont know, what parameters I have to change, that my guitar sounds as good as yours in your video...I'm newbei in Helix. Can you give my any tips?

greetings

Markus

Hey Markus

I replied to your YouTube comment as well, but in the video I'm using a Variax and acoustic modelling so it wouldn't get the same result with a regular Les Paul. 

You could try some acoustic IR's, I think 3 Sigma has some, but I don't know how well a regular electric guitar will sound with them.  

Hope this help. 

Chad

This is acoustic and electric at the same time... but...

I've since upgraded to the 3 Sigma Acoustic IR collection and will never go back, though. And I also use a return, because some of my guitars don't have any preamp, and those ones sound poor through the Aux in.

I, too, can vouch for the 3 Sigma acoustic IRs. I use them with an Alvarez Yairi acoustic (with B-Band A2.2 pickup) and they are the basis for all my acoustic tones. I've also A/B'ed them with small and large diagram mics recorded straight into a DAW, and the pickup->IR tracks hold their own if you pick the best one for your guitar.

When with the Helix for live performance, little else is needed in the signal path ... perhaps the tube preamp, and a little studio compressor. There are other threads which suggest Helix blocks/paths to use with acoustics, and those are very useful. I find that less is best. Add some room or hall verb to taste.