Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How's the sustain on your 89F?

Even with the magnetic pickups, the notes seem to die way too soon on my 89F.  Anything below the 5th fret is fine, but above is a no go.

For example, my band plays Metallica's version on "Turn the Page". People familiar with that song will remember the little singing lead parts throughout the song (actually played with a slide by Kirk Hammet, but I digress). I could never use my 89F for this song because the notes fade so quickly. Even at high gain with a lot of compression. My Epiphone Les Paul (with a Floyd) sustains much better. It KILLS "Turn the Page".

I wonder if replacing the trem block and getting better springs for the 89F would help. I know the block and springs in my aforementioned Epi LP are stock, and that guitar sings.

The guitar seems to be set up ok. No buzzing, slight relief @ the 7th fret when 1st and17th frets are fingered, comfy action. Could my problem still be a setup issue?

I am curious to hear other 89F owner's thoughts on how they perceive their sustain.

I bought my 89F as a backup for my JTV69. I do ocassionally play it, but not a lot. So I don't have enough seat time with it to tell you that it's lacking at certain parts of certain songs. I actually haven't noticed any lack of sustain, but again I do most of my serious tweaking and playing with my 69. I'll make a point of doing a little testing when I can.

Have you checked the settings in WBHD? Possibly the higher strings are not set to 100%?

I'm going to guess that the answer will depend greatly on what you consider good sustain. My 89f performs about like I would expect for sustain. It's not a much as some guitars but is pretty decent. I will often add a compressor on a very light setting on it to get a bit more. I also have modified my floyd quite a bit.

Added a Godo Back box. That fixes the bending and double stop issue inhert to all floating Floyd guitars.

Added Floyd noiseless springs. Not a huge change but does make it sound a bit more like a hard tail guitar. Running 3 springs.

Added Floyd Pro tremolo arm.

I have not replaced the block in it.The block is a normal size, looks to brass but does have hole in it. One of the things if you decide to do this will be getting a hole through the block material. The leads of piezos go thought the block. If you decide to take that on please let me know as block replacement on floyd is one of the biggest things you can do to improve the sustain.  The tremolo is made by graphtech and I've had a couple of support cases with them getting some things like string blocks where I broke them. They have great support.

I'm going to guess that the answer will depend greatly on what you consider good sustain. My 89f performs about like I would expect for sustain. It's not a much as some guitars but is pretty decent. I will often add a compressor on a very light setting on it to get a bit more. 

With the guitar in question, the note played on the G string 7th fret completely dies in about 3 second... with high gain and a fairly good amount of compression. Even applying vibrato and "diggin in". Playing a note on the same string at the 2nd fret gives me 5-6 seconds. Much better. That fact that your 89F seems normal is giving me some reassurance that I could get this working up to snuff.

I posed this question in the Luthier section of another forum. A couple replies stated that the GraphTech saddles may contributing to the issue. These guys claimed to have experience with GraphTech. Another very well regraded Luthier suggested I try loosening the neck somewhat while it is under tension. I googled that technique and it appears legit. I am going to try it. If that doesn't help, It's going to a Luthier for another opinion.

I bought my 89F as a backup for my JTV69. I do ocassionally play it, but not a lot. So I don't have enough seat time with it to tell you that it's lacking at certain parts of certain songs. I actually haven't noticed any lack of sustain, but again I do most of my serious tweaking and playing with my 69. I'll make a point of doing a little testing when I can.

Have you checked the settings in WBHD? Possibly the higher strings are not set to 100%?

The settings on Workbench check out. If you think of it, the next time you whip out the 89, see how it does and report back, if you don't mind.

With the guitar in question, the note played on the G string 7th fret completely dies in about 3 second... with high gain and a fairly good amount of compression. Even applying vibrato and "diggin in". Playing a note on the same string at the 2nd fret gives me 5-6 seconds. Much better.

This could be a couple of things. A poorly seated fret will do it, or just a dead spot. I've seen that a million times over the years....some necks just have one or more spots that don't ring out like they should. Just about every Strat I've owned has had one note that would just drop like a dying quail. I suspect it's either an unfortunate resonant (or lack thereof) quality of that particular piece of wood, or a construction issue. Who knows, but it's common.

You got me curious, so I just turned on the scale...

Les Paul

8.6 lbs.

89F

8.1 lbs

good sustain

priceless :)

I'm surprised the Epi is that light...

Weight aside though, you're comparing a bolt-on to a set neck. The bolt-on will lose a sustain contest every time.

I'm surprised the Epi is that light...

Weight aside though, you're comparing a bolt-on to a set neck. The bolt-on will lose a sustain contest every time.

It is pretty light for an Epi. When I pick new ones up in the store I am still surprised by how heavy they usually are. I guess the Floyd route removed SOME weight, but still...

Regarding set neck vs neck through vs bolt on, I always believed bolt-ons would finish last in the sustain department. Below is an article about the subject. I can tell you from personal experience (as much as anecdotal evidence is worth) that  my cheap-lollipop Ibanez RG bolt on guitar absolutely has amazing sustain. My 1984 Yamaha SBG2100 (neck through) doesn't hold a note worth a damn.

http://www.cycfi.com/2013/11/sustain-myth-science/

I did the loosen the screws of the neck trick, and it didn't change anything. Dead spot on the neck theory sounds like a good possibility.

Man, I have a Luthier nearby who does some really great work, but most on acoustics and vintage stuff. I know guys really dislike working on guitars with Floyds, but I am going to call him tomorrow and ask him to take a look at the guitar.

In the meantime, I think I'll Google JTV89F neck replacement. 

I'm not sure what the logic behind that is anyway. Seems to me having things loose would actually make the problem worse.

Loosen the screws 1/2 turn of so, and the tension from the strings sets the neck by pulling it deeper into the pocket, then re-tighten the screws.

Just a quick test I counted out the sustain on mine last night. About 10 to 11 seconds before the fully died out. Setup was using a clean Plexi normal Pre, T75 cab model with a bit for delay and reverb using the L6 link to my DT25 turned up to about 3 on the master volume.   I'm sure the delay added a bit for the time. 

I will say I had three high frets when I got my 89f right out of the box from sweetwater. I had very good local lutheir level and had recrown the entire fretboard. And of course a full setup. I also have my action higher than most people, personal preference.

OMG sometimes I just have to shake my head at myself. I brought the guitar to a  tech and within 1 minute of looking at it, he said, "well your pickups look pretty low." He raised the pickups and now its fine. 

I have adjusted pickup height dozens of times throughout my life, but I didn't even think to look at the PUs on this guitar.

No charge, at least.