Sign in to follow this  
indianrock

VDI cable/jack life expectancy

Life expectancy for JTV VDI Jack? My JTV59 is about a year old and used very carefully. The after-market cable I use is also cared for and I've never jerked on it or abused it, but lately I notice an occasional volume drop out where I have to push the cable into the guitar slightly to re-establish connection. The connections are all clean so just wondering how long one can expect such connections to last with two hours of use per week?

My aftermarket cable:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JLMXSC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There will be no universal answer to this question. My lousy early-design VDI lasted me barely 2 years, though with orders of magnitude more than 2 hours of weekly use. The jack itself, who knows? But unless there's visible damage on one or the other, without a second VDI cable to test, it will be basically impossible to tell whether it's the cable or the jack that's giving you the trouble. Get a second cable... if you're gigging, you need a spare anyway.

I've used the same Line6 VDI cable for many years. I do have a spare, but don't carry it with me. If it failed, I'd just use a regular 1/4" cable.

I have a old VDI cable I got when  I bought my second hand Variax 500. Now I use it with my JTV 89f and it still works fine. Heavy used and abused at show and after show and the cable still holds up like new. I broke my jack on the 89f once because I stepped on the cable trying to move stuff off stage quickly. It broke around the plastic mount and I was still able to use the VDI for 5 or 6 months before I got around to replacing it. So while result may vary I think it's pretty solid. The biggest drawback is the plastic jack plates can break if you abuse them like I do. Wish they made metal one.

I have been using the same VDI on my JTV89F since I bought it.  This is through all of the band practices and gigs for the past 4 years with no issues.

I've been using the same cable for close to a year with no problem, and I'm not very kind to it. It's not going to surprise me when it quits working. But, I do carry a spare.

I have been using my VDI cables with my Variax guitars for many years and not had an issue.  I now have 3 cables - 2 long ones and one short one - just in case one of them fails - but so far so good.