After years away started using Variax again. Had to download Work Bench old version not the HD. I've hit the JAVA wall. It will not install. Java Envoiromental blah blah. I have uninstalled Java and Workbench and reinstalled and still no joy. Which Java do I need as 1.75 Workbench will load load with the recommended Java Runtime Environment 1.6. Any help please?

Side note. Sick to death of the whole " Aint got the new version?" Tough attitude. Line 6 are obligated to offer support. It's how they sell it. My head it done today on this issue....

I'm baffled.... 

I use an older Variax 300, an HD500, and both my computers (a desktop and a laptop) are Windows 10. I have no problems with Monkey, Workbench, and HD Edit. Everything does what it is suppose to, with the lowest level of Variax ever created.

Mate, it’s something to do with Java. Also Line 6 not updating software. I’ve given up. Absolute disgrace. We’re not talking about ancient, but a product which is still in use. I have a Axe Fx 2 regular updates, sometimes too many! Was looking at Tyler Variax and Helix but they can shove it! It’s gonna be sold. I’m no slouch on IT and I have deleted, reinstalled, my laptop is exhausted! Cheers mate. If there was a link to bypassing the Java issue. They should at least inform us. Cheers though mate. At least you tried.

I just checked and both my Desktop and Laptop have an old Sun Java installed - 6.0.200... 

I used to use the JAVA libraries for development, but haven't touched them in years. I don't know if those are what are making my Workbench/Variax run fine or not, but I'm not removing them just in case they are - LOL! 

I attempted to install the Variax Workbench v1.75 on a clean Windows 10 64-bit OS computer.  The Line 6 installer encountered a problem downloading the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).  The problem is the Line 6 installer tries to download the 1.6.0 Java Runtime Environment Installer (32-bit) [Java version 6] from a URL location that no longer exists (the location is hard-coded in the installer).  Since that location no longer exists, the Java download fails.

The Variax Workbench installer WILL complete, but when you then attempt to launch Variax Workbench 1.75 you receive the "Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0" error mesage.

Since the time the Variax Workbench software v1.75 was released (which uses Java 6), there have been releases of Java 7 and Java 8.  Java 8 is the current version.

HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM -- DOWNLOAD THE MOST CURRENT JAVA 32-BIT "OFFLINE" VERSION

I WAS able to get the Variax Workbench v1.75 to work by separately downloading and installing the most current Java Runtime Environment, Version 8. Update 161.

It appears that versions of the Java Runtime Environment are backward compatible.

Here is the link for the current version of Java [Java Version 8 Update 161]: Java Version 8 Download Webpage

You want to download the 32-BIT OFFLINE version (there are 32- and 64-bit versions).  

Under the "WINDOWS" section, you want to download the "WINDOWS OFFLINE", filesize 61.35 MB .exe file.

See the attached photo.

Here is the file direct download link: Direct Link to the 32-Bit Windows version

The exact name of the file downloaded is:  jre-8u161-windows-i586.exe

When you install Java, the installer finishes by launching your default web browser.  Don't worry if that fails.  For example, I use Google Chrome as my default browser and it does not support Java at all.  This isn't a problem because it is the Variax Workbench software that uses Java.

After I  installed this current version of Java I was successfully able to launch/run Variax Workbench 1.75

To get Variax Workbench 1.75 to work fully, you will also need to download:

-- Line 6 Monkey

-- Variax USB Drivers

[Note: These two items may be installed as part of the Variax Workbench installation]

Java_DL_Webpage.jpg

• Upvote 3

Blimey! Many thanks I will try when I get home tonight. Gotta be honest though. Spent time on the JAVA and downloade many versions. Hope this is the one. Cheers mate

Quick update on my end. On my Desktop Workbench no longer connects to the Variax (through my HD500). My laptop, which has the same install versions of Line 6 software does connect. Both computer are running JAVA 6.0.10 although on the desktop I also tried version 8 as recommended by MartinHines above... to no avail. 

EDIT TO ADD - The problem was USER ERROR, My Desktop is Connecting Once Again

When opening it was telling me I was almost done and showed my HD500 and my Variax 300. I was trying to connect via the Variax but it was showing offline. When I connected through the HD500 (which is how I connect my Variax to the computer) it worked exactly as it should. 

Many thanks. But that’s what I mean. It’s a lottery. Surely Line 6 are obligated to keep us updated. I mean what I say. Was looking at James Tyler Variax and Helix. But when the new kid in town is released. The old are dropped like a hot stone. No thanks..cheers I’ll do my best with your help, but my Line 6 days are over. Grateful for your efforts and help mate.

14 hours ago, medbad5150 said:

Many thanks. But that’s what I mean. It’s a lottery. Surely Line 6 are obligated to keep us updated.

Well, I don't think my "user error" is hardly the fault of Line 6.... but I get what you are saying.

I'm sure they could update the "workbench installer" to link to a working version of a Java Runtime so people don't have to try and figure this all out on their own. Not to mention... since Workbench does work with Windows 10 they should include it in the Windows 10 search on their own site, not just the Windows 7/8 searches. Those are two very small things that wouldn't take long for them to update. 

Many thanks MartinHines. 
After a VERY long time and countless headaches, my computer and I are now reconnected to my Variax.
The Java fix outlined above worked perfectly.
Much appreciated.
Simon

Line 6 customers shouldn't have to resort to keeping an old computer or performing Java workarounds just to use their trusty old Variax guitars with Workbench.

There are a few things we can do to pressure Line 6 to update Workbench so it works with recent computers and operating systems:

1) open a support ticket here https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html and the more the merrier. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

2) be vocal on these and other forums

3) vote for support in Line 6 Ideascale right here. You'll need to register for Ideascale if you haven't already. (In my opinion, the lack of legacy Variax support shouldn't require an "idea" for submission. But sometimes you gotta approach a problem from all angles.)