Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Right angle power cable adapter

Indianrock2020

Is this a good or bad idea to avoid wear and tear on the power connection ( Helix Floor )?    Main concern is how it will work inside the Helix backpack.  I was told it sticks out from the back of the Helix, when pushed in fully, about 1/2 to 3/4 inches.  My Helix is in the backpack for about 2 hours per month, only in my car, no flights.
Amazon Power Adapter

HelixRightAnglePowerAdapter.jpg

5 minutes ago, Indianrock2020 said:

Well the whole point was to avoid wear and tear on the male pins in the Helix power socket.  So even though it only sticks out less than an inch, you're thinking it will work back and forth putting abnormal stress on the Helix?

I think the possible shear stress of the up/down movement of that is going to be worse in the long run than pulling the cord in and out of the Helix. Plus, there's always the possibility of the backpack taking a direct hit in that area. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me.

I looked at both the left and right angle cables but the concern still seems to be that when stored in the Helix backpack there will be movement causing wear beyond what the usual plugging/unplugging would cause.   I'll have to take another look to see how much room there is around the Helix when stored in my backpack.  Wear on the cable isn't an issue ( easy/cheap replacement), it's wear that could lead to the need to replace the power connector on the Helix.   Those are also cheap but it would be great to know what's involved in replacing one beyond removing the screws ( soldering? )

Helix power connector - IEC 320 C14 Panel Mount Plug Adapter Power Connector Socket

16 hours ago, Indianrock2020 said:

Well the whole point was to avoid wear and tear on the male pins in the Helix power socket. 

Those pins will be fine with any regular usage over many, many years. Vox, Marshall, Hiwatt have been using these connections in amps since the early 70's (maybe earlier) and they are still holding up fine. The male pins are rarely (if ever) the problem, it's the female connector that looses tension over time. 

You're looking for a solution to a problem you don't have. Assuming that you're not jamming the plug in like a maniac, or coming at it with a running start and a crowbar, the odds of damaging anything in there are pretty close to zero. Those plugs are on everything from musical gear to toasters. Never seen bent pins in there, on any device. You'd almost have to try to destroy them...so don't throw it off the roof, or hit it with a sledgehammer....just play the thing.

I'm more worried about wear and tear on my "pins", than anything attached to the Helix...

In the Helix Backpack, it would be a bad idea to leave any of these three variations affixed to the Helix for the very reasons offered in the first reply! One or several bad hits or drops of the backpack and the protruding angle adapter could leverage the impact force to the chassis mounted jack.

If you are not content with the stock perpendicular feed angle of the power cord, use one of the alternate adapters or angled cords. Otherwise, don't be concerned about the recessed pins in the jack.