Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Aux In to headphones ONLY?

matthewklein

On Helix Floor I run my monitor feed into a return and have the output set to 1/4 so that my XLR sent to front of house is only my guitar signal. That way I don't need a monitor pack, I just run a headphone extension cable along with my guitar cable and I'm set. Is this possible on HX Stomp? More specifically without eating up a bunch of blocks? If not, I beg you line 6 to add this functionality! Thanks!

I guess I'm alone. Well, in case anyone else is interested this is totally doable, but it costs 1 block. Set the "return type" to return. Set "phones monitor" to send. Probably want to set volume control to just control the headphone output. Then you want to set a y split at the end of your guitar chain and a return block on path B. Then move the mixer to path B. use the mix on the control block to balance the in ear mix. I'm over the moon I managed to make this work! Hopes this helps someone! PS it would still be killer if you could do this without eating up a block. 

Great Idea! My HX Stomp is on order. I intend to use it a good bit of the time with IEMs or Headphones and as a USB Interface to my Dell XPS 15 running Helix Native. Yet to determine how it may also serve well as a DSP extender with my Helix Floor.

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I gotta be honest, I'm not at all sure what you're trying to do here. I keep trying to visualize it and my brain breaks.

I like to be able to bring audio into the HX, hear it through the HX's headphone output mixed with my guitar signal, but only send my guitar to the main outputs. That's how like to monitor the rest of the band and hear click tracks and whatnot. Saves me from having to have a monitor pack and worrying about batteries. I just run a headphone extension cable along with my guitar cable to the HX and I'm good. 

10 hours ago, matthewklein said:

I like to be able to bring audio into the HX, hear it through the HX's headphone output mixed with my guitar signal, but only send my guitar to the main outputs. That's how like to monitor the rest of the band and hear click tracks and whatnot. Saves me from having to have a monitor pack and worrying about batteries. I just run a headphone extension cable along with my guitar cable to the HX and I'm good. 

I THINK I understand what you mean. You want to have the guitar signal sent out - nothing but the guitar/effects/etc., but have the rest of the band mix come in to the Stomp for you to hear through the headphone jack.

However, isn't that done by simply setting the return/aux in in global settings to auxiliary in? I do the same thing almost every night when I play along to music on my phone. Music comes in through auxiliary in (in your case it would be the band), but only the guitar is sent out the mains.  It doesn't take a single block to do it either. 

The only thing I'm not sure about - whenever I've done this I'm jamming along to headphones. I haven't had an amp connected - but I really think that as long as you have it set to auxiliary in it doesn't output it to your amp or PA (because in many cases that would sound freaking awful and I'm assuming they knew that). Try it and see.

The key is that you have to make sure you change the Global Settings.  I'm going off memory here, but I think it's:

Global Settings >>>> Ins/Outs >>>> Return Type >>>> Aux in

Let me know if I'm way off base here.

Edit: Okay, I found the page in the Stomp manual that discusses it. Another thing it points out is that you need to make sure that the preset's input block is the "main L/R" though I think most are set that way by default.

If you want to read up on it it's page 6 and page 41. Page 6 explicitly states one purpose of the aux in could be used for monitors so I hope this is what you're talking about.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

I did try just using AUX in and it was coming out the main outputs. I figured out another solution that doesn't use a block. Set AUX IN, Set headphones to monitor main outputs, put all guitar chain on path B, give FOH the Send output. In that setup all I would hear is the monitor feed, but I my guitar will be in there anyway, so no problem. Actually, that might be the smarter way to do it and it leaves all 6 blocks available. The only downside is I can't use a separate path in making my guitar tone, but I never do that anyway.

Thanks guys! You got my gears turning and now I have a couple of solutions to try out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been wondering about this type of functionality for awhile now. I wonder how hard it would be to implement the IO like a regular old digital mixer, assign inputs to different outputs, change I/O levels, etc. It would be super cool to use the Helix (especially the rack version) as a hub for live audio. You could assign USB returns to different outputs to send backing tracks out to the PA, send click to your drummer's, mixer, send and input with a monitor mix through the headphone output, etc....that would be pretty sweet. For my band that plays with a click exclusively I was considering just plugging straight into my XR18 and using Native for guitar processing and sending a bus output with just guitar to a splitter for my stage sound and FOH, but I'm not THAT comfortable with the computer doing all my processing (yet). 

On 11/12/2018 at 14:28, matthewklein said:

Intenté simplemente usar AUX y salía por las salidas principales. Me di cuenta de otra solución que no usa un bloque. Establezca AUX IN, ajuste los auriculares para monitorear las salidas principales, ponga toda la cadena de guitarra en la ruta B, otorgue a FOH la salida de envío. En esa configuración, todo lo que oiría es la alimentación del monitor, pero mi guitarra estará allí de todos modos, así que no hay problema. En realidad, esa podría ser la forma más inteligente de hacerlo y deja los 6 bloques disponibles. El único inconveniente es que no puedo usar un camino diferente para hacer el tono de mi guitarra, pero nunca lo hago de todos modos.

¡Gracias chicos! Tienes mis engranajes girando y ahora tengo un par de soluciones para probar.

Hola, yo lo uso asi. La salida de auricular directa a los parlantes y me funciona. 

• 3 months later...

+1 I did something similar to @matthewklein

• Send out to FOH
  • Attached FS1 the Send L block to mute as needed, (allowing me to silently monitor AUXin and patches with a mute to FOH)

Pros: you can use headphones to monitor PA and Main Input

Cons: you lose a block and you can't use Main outs (@matthewklein idea of using PathB for signal saves block)

Please post any ideas to send AuxIn directly to phones jack (without MainLR). Thanks!

• 9 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, matthewklein said:

On Helix Floor I run my monitor feed into a return and have the output set to 1/4 so that my XLR sent to front of house is only my guitar signal. That way I don't need a monitor pack, I just run a headphone extension cable along with my guitar cable and I'm set. Is this possible on HX Stomp? More specifically without eating up a bunch of blocks? If not, I beg you line 6 to add this functionality! Thanks!

Brilliant, Matthew Klein. I was just thinking of something similar for the new Line 6 Pod Go. (I know it doesn't have the XLR outputs). Figured with this set up I could always monitor my guitar in stereo even if FOH uses mono feed for guitars. This should be a software thing for Line 6 to do globally. Maybe just have a setting where Aux in/Return can be routed just to headphones. 

• 3 years later...

I really need this function of sending AuxIn/Return directly to phones jack (without MainLR) for my looper and drum maschine which I would live to monitor on HX phones. I already asked Like6 about possibility to add this functionality to global settings. It should be feasible and easy to do - i hope, just add a new routing settings to existing menu :). We will see. I didn't get any other idea how to solve it.

• 3 months later...