malmsteenino

Variax pickup swap

I recently swapped bridge and neck pickups on my Variax standard. 

In the neck i choose a DiMarzio area 61 and for the bridge a tone zone.

Position 1, 3 and 5 are all ok but I noticed that on position 2 (neck+middle) i have a thin sound like when you have phase issues...anyone know if the middle pickup on the Variax standard is RWRP?

Position 4 sounds better but i know that the tone zone is not splitted in that position, maybe that's the reason why it sound accettable

Anyone has some advice?

Thank you

I have a standard Onyx with 3 single coils.  I'm thinking about replacing the pickups as well.  Do you have a diagram for the 3 single coil configuration?

On 2/22/2019 at 1:43 AM, psarkissian said:

make sure you use this,....

Yes, i followed the right connections as in the diagram you posted, but it seems that you have to reverse the bridge or the neck pickup hot/ground to achieve the right sounds in all positions. 

I preferred to reverse the neck pickup but i think it doesn't matter which one you choose, just reverse one of them.

Now i have Area 61 in the neck, Area 61 in the middle and a tone zone in the bridge...i still had to do the reverse thing 

I think the circuit of the Variax is set up to accomodate the original pickups where the middle i think is RWRP because in a normal scenario you don't have to do this.

It would be awesome if some user that have this configuration in a normal guitar could confirm this

4 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

For the Variax Standard.

First of all thank you for your help and sorry for my bad english ....

On my Variax standard the original pickups hot signal wires are not all white but white(neck), yellow(middle)  and blue (bridge)...

Anyway, I cutted the original pickup wires as suggested in this video, just to not mess with the PCB and soldered the new pickups on those wires and not directly to the PCB.

so i  considered the black wires as the ground and the colored wires as hot signals, but in position 2 it sounded really bad, it was thin and dull so i had to reverse the neck pickup wires to achieve the typical strat sound in position 2.

Pick-ups should be in the correct phases, and should have DC/Bulk Resistance specification

of between 6k-Ohms to 8k-Ohms, or the tone EQ may be either too dark and deep, or too light and thin.