Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M-audio EX P setup

loydall

Hi - I just bought a cheap expression pedal - the M-audio EX P. I've plugged it into my HX Stomp and it sort of works - but only a small part of the range of the expression pedal (from heel-down to about 50% toe-down) maps to 1-100% of the position on a, for example, wah block.

The rest of the range of the expression pedal switches between exp1 and exp2 active (or something like that) so - if you use the expression pedal from full heel down to full toe down, it effectively keeps switching the wah on and off an, when on you only have a very small range from 0-100%. I've tried using the 'learn' feature but when I move the pedal it switches out the 'learn' mode...

Basically, all I want the expression pedal to do is control the position parameter of a wah block going from 0-100% using the full range of the pedal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ultimately... Line 6 Devices want an expression pedal with a TS connection... the M-Audio is a TRS.  However, I use that same expression pedal.... but I have an LT so YMMV.  I see the STOMP uses a single jack for multiple purposes (EXP 1/2 and FS 4/5) so I don't know how it will process the TRS compared to how the LT does. 

Here is what works for me...

1. set the switch on the bottom of the expression pedal to M-Audio. 
  2. Make sure the "MIN Volume" (on the side of the pedal) is all the way off. 
  3. (optional)... Open the expression and remove the resistor on the tiny PCB that holds the pot. You can also just "clip" one side of the resistor connection and lift it.
    NOTE: BOTH of these options will void any warranty you have! 

As I said... it works great on my LT, but I have no idea if it works on a Stomp. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Ultimately... Line 6 Devices want an expression pedal with a TS connection... the M-Audio is a TRS.  However, I use that same expression pedal.... but I have an LT so YMMV.  I see the STOMP uses a single jack for multiple purposes (EXP 1/2 and FS 4/5) so I don't know how it will process the TRS compared to how the LT does. 

Here is what works for me...

1. set the switch on the bottom of the expression pedal to M-Audio. 
  2. Make sure the "MIN Volume" (on the side of the pedal) is all the way off. 
  3. (optional)... Open the expression and remove the resistor on the tiny PCB that holds the pot. You can also just "clip" one side of the resistor connection and lift it.
    NOTE: BOTH of these options will void any warranty you have! 

As I said... it works great on my LT, but I have no idea if it works on a Stomp. 

Thanks - I'll give these a try tomorrow when I get a chance. (I didn't even notice the volume dial on the side of the expression pedal!)

2 hours ago, loydall said:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

I realise that your question refers to the HX Stomp, but all I can say is I have been using two of these as external expression pedals with my Helix Floor unit since 2016 with no issues whatsoever. I have never had to modify the pedal apart from making sure that the polarity is switched in the set up options. Not having access to a Stomp box I cannot say if that will work for you, but check it out! These pedals may be cheap, but they do exactly the same job as the expensive pedals.

Damn, I have just realised that I’m wearing my M-Audio T-Shirt tonight

Check this thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hi! have you solved your issue? i'm interested on buying both the hx stomp and the maudio expression pedal, but i want to be sure they are compatible before actually buying them (and in case they are not compatible, do you know about a similar pedal /  similar price range that is compatible with the hx stomp?) 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, francescoq said:

Hi! have you solved your issue? i'm interested on buying both the hx stomp and the maudio expression pedal, but i want to be sure they are compatible before actually buying them (and in case they are not compatible, do you know about a similar pedal /  similar price range that is compatible with the hx stomp?) 

Thanks!

Hi,

Well as it over a year since the OP asked about M- Audio EXP pedals, and he hasn't been back to complain. I would guess he is happy with the gizmo as we have heard nothing to say different.

As noted in my previous post above I use 2 of these with my Helix Floor unit - no problems - along with many others who use these pedals . Follow the advice about the switch underneath and the mini volume knob and you should be fine. I don't know why you are worrying because they are so cheap there is almost nothing to lose. Now if you bought a Mission pedal that's a lot of money for something to do the same job.

Strange, I just noticed that I am wearing the M-Audio t-shirt again, so that was good value too.

Have fun - stay safe.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

Well as it over a year since the OP asked about M- Audio EXP pedals, and he hasn't been back to complain. I would guess he is happy with the gizmo as we have heard nothing to say different.

As noted in my previous post above I use 2 of these with my Helix Floor unit - no problems - along with many others who use these pedals . Follow the advice about the switch underneath and the mini volume knob and you should be fine. I don't know why you are worrying because they are so cheap there is almost nothing to lose. Now if you bought a Mission pedal that's a lot of money for something to do the same job.

Strange, I just noticed that I am wearing the M-Audio t-shirt again, so that was good value too.

Have fun - stay safe.

Thanks! Yeah,  i see it's pretty cheap, in this case it was not the money that concerned me, but it was just to be sure not to buy something that will have to stay in the box somewhere in my house forever :D 

Thank you for your help!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, francescoq said:

it was just to be sure not to buy something that will have to stay in the box somewhere in my house forever :D 

Nothing has to stay in the box, in the house forever - that’s why they created EBay.  ;-)

• Thanks 1

Modding the M-Audio EXP pedal is super easy.

I modified the M-Audio EXP pedal by desoldering the white cable (ring) and connecting it to ground. Where the white cable was before, I used a piece of wire to connect  it with the red cable. So that the result looks a bit more like this (leaving out the minimum depth resistor potentiometer in the schematic):

+-------------------> TIP (red)
      |
      |
      |
      |           
     +-+          
     | |          
10k  | |<----1kR--+
     | |          |
     +-+          | (white)
      |           |
      +-----------+  
      |
      |
      |  
      |
      v  GND

Works like a charm.

IMG_20200527_142957433.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, francescoq said:

Thanks! Yeah,  i see it's pretty cheap, in this case it was not the money that concerned me, but it was just to be sure not to buy something that will have to stay in the box somewhere in my house forever :D 

Thank you for your help!

Don't thank me yet - you may need to do this minor modification to get it to work with the HX Stomp as it has a different socket on the EXP input. SEE POST ABOVE from "mattzz".

It should be simple and a still cheaper than the Mission pedals.

• 6 months later...

I've been using my Line 6 HX Stomp with the M-Audio with a Y stereo to mono splitter jack. On the tip I have another stomp pedal for triggering the tuner (set as FS4), and on the ring I have the M-Audio EX-P (set as EXP 2). This way the wiring works fine.

My problem was with getting full range. When using a Wah it's OK as it's not perceptible, but when using a Whammy/Pitch shifter the minimum position was always floating from 0% to 5%, instead staying fixed on 0%. This distorts the original pitch, which is very annoying! So I came here, found this amazing conversation and saw the resistor suggestion. In my case, I realised that shorting the resistor would give the opposite result, it'd increase the minimum position (floating from 5% to 10%), so I removed the original resistor (1K) and soldered a 4.7K in its place. With more resistance now it works perfectly!!! Phew, I almost bought another expression pedal because of this. Thanks guys, hope my solution can help others as well.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Helix Floor and M-Audio EX-P

I'm just posting this because this thread popped up when I was searching for the correct setting to get this going.

I just got my M-Audio EX-P today (1/4/2021).  It works great after doing the following two things (no modifications to EX-P required):

1) Switch on bottom of EX-P set to "other"

2) In Global settings on Helix, under EXP Pedals, set whichever expression pedal input you've plugged into, to Polarity=reversed

It seems to work no matter where the knob on the side of the EX-P is set, up, down, or anywhere in-between.

Of course you need to assign the pedal to control whichever device/parameter you wish it to control in the Helix.  Normal Helix rules apply for max/min settings.

Works like a champ!

FWIW, I have not tried this on my HX Stomp...  and I don't have an LT.  

UPDATE:  [10/12/2022] Just to be clear, this works on my Helix Floor (and I would guess an LT, but I don't have one to test).  I did try it on my HX Stomp and it does NOT work there.  This may be where modifications to the pedal are needed. 

I forgot I posted this and was happy to rediscover my own post to remind me of these settings.  You may need to check the global settings after a reset/update!

Edited by ryand1959
clarification
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi there ! i'm pretty owner of a pair of m audio exp and there's a trouble : exp2 "inverted" on helix (lt), "other" on the ma audio pedale... works fine... but sometimes (after a helix shutoff), doesn't works... i didn't modified the m audio pedal, should i ?

thank you for replies and lights by advance

jp (from france)

• 1 year later...

Hi, just wanted to tell, that I bought my EX-P this week (12.04.2022), but it did not work out of the box like it worked for ryand1959.
However, after doing the modifications mattzz suggested, it works great. And I didnt have to short out the resistor for the full scale to work.

Thanks mattzz for the instructions.

• 3 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 5:56 AM, ryand1959 said:

Helix Floor and M-Audio EX-P

I'm just posting this because this thread popped up when I was searching for the correct setting to get this going.

I just got my M-Audio EX-P today (1/4/2021).  It works great after doing the following two things (no modifications to EX-P required):

1) Switch on bottom of EX-P set to "other"

2) In Global settings on Helix, under EXP Pedals, set whichever expression pedal input you've plugged into, to Polarity=reversed

It seems to work no matter where the knob on the side of the EX-P is set, up, down, or anywhere in-between.

Of course you need to assign the pedal to control whichever device/parameter you wish it to control in the Helix.  Normal Helix rules apply for max/min settings.

Works like a champ!

FWIW, I have not tried this on my HX Stomp...  and I don't have an LT.  

Good morning, 

I've bought an M-audio EXP pedal and I'm trying to make it work with an Helix stomp XL without success.

I didn't modified it yet (I can't do it by myself) and I'm trying to make it work using those indications but with no luck.

I've switched polarity in global settings and also trying different positions in the bottom EX-p but nothing: every time that I move the pedal it use to switch on expensive 1 and expensive 2 randomly.

I would like to make it work with a pitch wham (controller assign and bypass assign are set to EXP1).

Could you please help me?

Nice greetings from Italy ciao

On 8/4/2022 at 5:00 AM, andreatbone said:

Good morning, 

I've bought an M-audio EXP pedal and I'm trying to make it work with an Helix stomp XL without success.

I didn't modified it yet (I can't do it by myself) and I'm trying to make it work using those indications but with no luck.

I've switched polarity in global settings and also trying different positions in the bottom EX-p but nothing: every time that I move the pedal it use to switch on expensive 1 and expensive 2 randomly.

I would like to make it work with a pitch wham (controller assign and bypass assign are set to EXP1).

Could you please help me?

Nice greetings from Italy ciao

It looks like you have more than one problem going on.... you need to take it one step at a time. 

1. Get the EXP working... you do this by setting up a Volume Pedal Block, then adjust the M-Audio EXP until it works. Once you know the M-Audio EXP is working... don't touch it other than to move it's treadle. The settings never have to change again. 
  2. Now that you know the EXP is working... remove it from the volume block and assign it to the pitch WHAM... it should just work when the pitch wham is on. 
  3. Now that you get that working, work on the "auto engage" for the pitch wham until you get it working. 

The key point it to get the M-Audio working (in step 1) so you KNOW it works. Then you just have to learn how to set up the other stuff and not worry about how the M-Audio settings.