Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV89F - NEWBIE tO VARIAX

Hey ALL.

Just got myself a used JTV89F and for the most part the models seem to work, but have noticed that the acoustic models seem to NOT SOUND like acoustic models when I use them through my HELIX LT. Are there any particular AMP models I need to use or something I'm not doing right?

As I've mentioned I'm a newbie to VARIAX so ANY and ALL help will be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from some of you tech gurus.

My sincere Thanx in advance for all help rendered.

Acoustic guitars typically do not use any amp model at all. Try creating a preset that uses just the LA Studio compressor, the studio preamp, and optionally some chorus, delay, and reverb. Go light with the FX to start with and increase to taste.

Also, the acoustic models will sound best if your Helix LT outputs go directly to a mixer or PA/FRFR speaker. The sound will not be as good if your outputs go through a guitar amp.

8 hours ago, KarlVaz said:

Hey ALL.

Just got myself a used JTV89F and for the most part the models seem to work, but have noticed that the acoustic models seem to NOT SOUND like acoustic models when I use them through my HELIX LT. Are there any particular AMP models I need to use or something I'm not doing right?

As I've mentioned I'm a newbie to VARIAX so ANY and ALL help will be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from some of you tech gurus.

My sincere Thanx in advance for all help rendered.

Generally speaking, you don't want to be using an amp model at all. A little compression, and perhaps the studio preamp model will suffice... but your problem is almost certainly related to your output. What are you playing through? If it's not some sort of FRFR speaker (studio monitors, flat reference headphones, PA etc.) then you're never going to get a convincing acoustic tone. Traditional electric guitar amps have a very narrow frequency response... far too narrow to produce realistic acoustic sounds.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cruisinon2

Firstly, thanx so much for your response.

I'm currently using a Boss Katana Head with a 2x12 Katana Cab, plugging into the Return jack. Not sure if this is a good decision or should I use my PA powered speakers?

Thanx once again for taking the time to clarify things for me.

Cheers!!!!!

4 hours ago, KarlVaz said:

Hey Cruisinon2

Firstly, thanx so much for your response.

I'm currently using a Boss Katana Head with a 2x12 Katana Cab, plugging into the Return jack. Not sure if this is a good decision or should I use my PA powered speakers?

Thanx once again for taking the time to clarify things for me.

Cheers!!!!!

You will have the same difficulty with acoustic tones using any traditional guitar amp/cab or combo... it's just not what they're designed for. FRFR is a necessity for acoustic stuff.

Doesn't the Katana head have this setting?  "Acoustic - Amazing acoustic setting so that you can use the amp with your electro-acoustic guitar." Still probably not as good as FRFR/going direct to powered PA but give it a try if so (once you have an acoustic patch on the HX), or is that what you are doing and the problem was the HX patch?

I don’t know the Katana amp but an experienced guess is their ACOUSTIC setting is probably voiced for under saddle acoustic guitar sensors/pickups.  Fishman, Takamine, Ovation, LR Baggs, etc.  Probably won’t sound very good with an acoustic Variax model though.  

Too bad Line6 never got the wisdom of modeling industry accepted acoustic pickup sounds.  Models of a plugged in Tak or Ovation would’ve been a useful thing for those of us stuck with only electric amp on many gigs.  

The prime criteria for Variax acoustic amplification or recording work imho is to use similar stuff as we do for vocals.  

Essentially a microphone on instrument but without all the feedback.  My Helix presets for acoustic amount to very little in the chain.  Definitely no amps or speaker models.  Comp, verb, EQ, maybe delay/chorus, that’s about it.  

For conventional amp backlines one of the most important tools for my Variax gig box is the old XPS power supply A/B XLR output box.  1/4” sent to electric guitar stage amp while the XLR goes to a full range monitor and FOH.