Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix The one true and amazingly simple tone Solution

eontide1212

The solution to all helix tone issues or any issues really is to get an Ampegg Bass amp. FRFR speakers and tube amps are inferior to this method. Simply go direct to ampegg bass amp with ultra hi and ultra low button options or try some other bass amps and prepare for the wow factor. Only use one impulse response or one cab sim when doing this and you will be blown away. I use this for guitar and had been struggling to get a tone I completely happy with that felt full, ect. Now I can officially say my tone quest is over and amp modeling has finally surpassed tube amps in my opinion. Plus bass amps are lighter, cleaner and tighter sounding with a well rounded sound and a lot of thump. It's amazing that no one else on the internet has figured this out yet. I tried everything too, multiple IR's tube amps, 4cm, 200 presets lol nothing satisfied but the bass amp I got really brought my helix to the next level. I compared to my friends Krank 4x12 tube amp and I blew him out of the water. Plus I have a bunch of IR's I like so I can switch to emulate any speaker cabinent now with superior sound quality. No more messing with tubes and multiple cords, no more noise either. 100% consistency in the tone I have been searching for. I now use a strandberg boden 8 direct into the helix direct into the bass amp. I hit the pad button on my ampegg because I have active pickups and it really is everything now. I feel like I'm playing through a 5000$ system now. I am so glad I didn't spend 1000$+ on a FRFR speaker for Stack. If you don't believe me or are in disagreement, I highly urge you to go to guitar center and try some bass amps that have aux in for playback options (meaning that odds are it has a large frequency range) I can officially say now digital modeling has surpassed the need for bulky tube amps, ect. This is the one thing that truly worked. Make sure the bass amp has a dynamic EQ section so you can fine tune your presets (which you won't have to do much to accomplish that). I don't use any distortion blocks in my chain cause the amps sims I use like the texas II or the Badonk have really high gain. I set my noise gate at around -55db or-65db so it doesn't eat at the tone of the guitar.  

There are some great lightweight digital bass amp heads out there. It's amazing how small and light an 800 watt package has become. But any good amp design of the same wattage will do the same thing - bass head, PA amp, or guitar power amp. After that, it largely depends on the cabinet.

• Like 1

Way back in the mist of time, I used to play guitar through the bass channel of a very old Selmer 50w “Treble ‘n’ Bass” amp into cab containing a Goliath branded 18 inch bass speaker. When that rig eventually died it was replaced by a 1980s 60w bass combo with 5 band graphic eq and a 15” bass speaker. I always liked playing through a bass rig. Each to their own, but can’t really remember why I started playing through a bass set up. I vaguely remember being told it was something of a thing on the 1960s British Blues scene. More likely that you just played through whatever you could find or afford.