Jump to content
stevecuss

Help on HX Effects vs Pod GO

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I'm struggling to find detailed specs on the Pod GO but it looks perfect for me so far. I own the Hx Effects and love the layout, options etc. I run electric and acoustic through it. I'd sell it for the Pod GO as it appears the Pod GO has the tube preamp model that would really help the acoustic. Does anyone know what the Pod Go gives up to the HX Effects? Less patches or only one signal path instead of two?  When playing acoustic, I run the guitar signal on one chain and an IR of my acoustic on another, so two paths is key for me.

 

thanks for any help you can give. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a few things that come to mind immediately. The FX loop on the POD Go can’t be split up into two mono loop like the loops on the HXE can. There’s also no relay switching on the POD Go. Beyond that, the signal chain is more limited. On the HXE, the 9 block can be whatever you want. On the Go, only 4 of them can be used as whatever you want. The rest are semi-fixed.

 

And I guess finally, the Go has no MIDI jacks and, therefore, no Command Center. The HXE has pretty extensive capabilities as a MIDI controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, brilliant, thanks. I'd own a Helix if budget allowed. Might either need to get used to the Stomp or look at an LT if I want the flexibility of the HX with the preamp options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 3:04 PM, stevecuss said:

Ok, brilliant, thanks. I'd own a Helix if budget allowed. Might either need to get used to the Stomp or look at an LT if I want the flexibility of the HX with the preamp options. 

If you could afford low payment plans check out zzsounds or american music supply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say it... but there is some really good reading over at TGP about the differences between the HX Stomp and the new POD Go. A lot of this info will apply to the HX Effects as well as the Stomp... of course minus the amps and interface options. 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-pod-go.2113195/    (jump to page 28 to see DI really dig in and explain some differences)

 

Eric (Digital Igloo) has unleashed a lot of information about the POD Go over there that has not been stated here (that I can see). Aside from the obvious I/O differences and complete lack of MIDI, the main things you need to consider about the POD Go that has been made clear over there are.... 

  1. There is no compatibility promise with other products in the HX line. 
  2. It is not "unified" with the HX line (remember what 2.8 was all about). It will follow it's own update path and have it's own editor.
  3. You are not eligible for the discounted Helix Native upgrade price. 
  4. The DSP is a little less powerful than the Stomps... (I don't know about the HX Effects). This may effect future updates compared to the HX line such as poly pitch shifting.
  5. There is only a single signal path... no parallel routing
  6. Many blocks are fixed... this means the EQ block can ONLY include an EQ model, nothing else. Same with Volume/Wah, AMP/Preamp, Cab/IR. There are only 4 wide open blocks for you to do whatever you want with. 
  7. The looper is much shorter... but no exact length was given. 

 

Don't take my word for any of this... head over and read Digital Igloo's comments in that thread... they are quite insightful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 3:04 PM, stevecuss said:

Ok, brilliant, thanks. I'd own a Helix if budget allowed. Might either need to get used to the Stomp or look at an LT if I want the flexibility of the HX with the preamp options. 

 

You wouldn't regret the LT.  good stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK for effects only going into the front of an amp - HX Effects with a volume pedal OR Pod Go?  I need two reverbs in each patch and will not need amps and cabs. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jwoertz said:

I need two reverbs in each patch and will not need amps and cabs. Thanks!

 

If you need the two reverbs in parallel then POD Go will not do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got the LT a few weeks ago, still evaluating as I have 45 days with it. So far I would have to say its a great unit. I was originally running it though the Return Loop of a Marshall 20w and 50w DSL, great power sections on those amps. Using Preamps instead of Amps for the most part. Yesterday I picked up an Orange Pedal Baby as a power amp, an excellent choice for a Helix, extremely transparent and sounds excellent. I am now using the AMPs on he Helix (no cab as I am coming out of a Marshall 2x12) when creating new presets with the Orange. As far Helix vs POD Go, I am thinking about returning the LT and getting the Go, saving me about 700 bucks. Besides the money, most of my presets are very simple and consist of AMP, EQ, Wah, Chorus or Phase, Wah and Volume, and maybe a compressor. Since the AMP, Wah and EQ are already embedded into the chain on the Go, I would have 4 blocks to work with which would be plenty for me. Dont know yet, still thinking about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, malhavok said:

 

If you need the two reverbs in parallel then POD Go will not do that.

 

No I just need to have access to two reverbs in one patch, not at the same time. Is there a way to assign a pedal to SWAP reverbs in a patch? I need to go from spring to Particle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! You can totally assign toggle switches like this on all of the units.

  1. Assign both blocks to turn on/off with the same switch
  2. Select one of the blocks and manually toggle it off while the other is on.
  3. It's now a switch that toggles between the two!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, malhavok said:

Yes! You can totally assign toggle switches like this on all of the units.

  1. Assign both blocks to turn on/off with the same switch
  2. Select one of the blocks and manually toggle it off while the other is on.
  3. It's now a switch that toggles between the two!

OK and on the POD GO I can assign two reverbs (especially if I'm not using the amp and cab) correct? Since I'm using this for effects only it would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally can assign two reverbs on POD Go. DSP limitations aside. Are you familiar with the DSP Allocation chart? If you don't plan on using amp/cab modeling then you can free up the most DSP by:

 

  1. set amp block to preamp and select the Del Sol 300 preamp only block
  2. leave cab block on internal cab (not IR) and doesn't matter which cab is selected
  3. bypass both blocks

Set like that, you can run any two reverbs without fear of running out of horsepower. The two springs are "most costly" at close to 35% each. So using two springs would eat up about 70% of available power leaving only 30% for your other two selectable blocks. That's "only" 30% because you can probably still do just about anything. That 30% is quite a lot (as you can see, the most "expensive" reverbs are only a little more than that already). You would run into more limitations of DSP power with two reverbs if you were also using some expensive amps with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, malhavok said:

Totally can assign two reverbs on POD Go. DSP limitations aside. Are you familiar with the DSP Allocation chart? If you don't plan on using amp/cab modeling then you can free up the most DSP by:

 

  1. set amp block to preamp and select the Del Sol 300 preamp only block
  2. leave cab block on internal cab (not IR) and doesn't matter which cab is selected
  3. bypass both blocks

Set like that, you can run any two reverbs without fear of running out of horsepower. The two springs are "most costly" at close to 35% each. So using two springs would eat up about 70% of available power leaving only 30% for your other two selectable blocks. That's "only" 30% because you can probably still do just about anything. That 30% is quite a lot (as you can see, the most "expensive" reverbs are only a little more than that already). You would run into more limitations of DSP power with two reverbs if you were also using some expensive amps with them.

 

Ahhhh maybe I'll stick with the HX Effects and a volume pedal. The POD GO limitations might be too great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jwoertz HXFX definitely much more flexible and a lot more routing features if you are not using amp/cab stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...