Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

activity under firmware 2.82

joeloduca

Hello all,  Last week I successfully updated my helix floor unit to firmware 2.82.   Within the unit I am exploring more complicated presets as well. I started using snapshots as opposed to just having a simple stompbox and preset approach that I've been using for years.   

Under this new firmware, Each and every time I turn the device on, I get the loading firmware 2.82 & progress bar..  (that's completely normal)  Once the entire firmware is loaded, that is where my question comes in:  I get near the bottom of the window:

Firmware 2.82.0

Building Preset XXX

in the past, I never got this screen that its building all my presets.  Is that normal behavior for this new firmware?   Could the fact that I now am using SNAPSHOTs in my programming be the reason that presets need to be built every time you turn on this device?  Everything works its just the bootup time has probably more than doubled to get to a playing mode.

The other thing I notice different when trying to create a new preset:   I can go to an empty block and when I'd want to assign an effect to it, I could "press joystick to open model list"   <-in fact, thats what it says in the window but it no longer works for me.   I have to do a workaround by twisting the knob and cycling thru the 10 gazillion effects to get to the one you want.   Pressing this know categorically separated the effect types to quickly access an area you want to be in.

Am I doing something wrong?

joe

Rebuilding all presets every boot could caused by old factory presets. Do a factory reset ( Holding footswitch 9+10 on boot )to update this presets. Don't forget to make a backup!!! Then restore you backup (without the old  factory presets)

The rebuilding process should than only appear once after the update, ...or when you have edited/saved a preset

Maybe the reset also fix your joystick problem. ...you can also change the joystick behavior in the global settings(new feature in 2.8)

Thanks "Peter Iknowathingortwo" !   you pegged the problem. or one of them.  I did the backups last week.  So initalized this puppy and tossed back in my presets.. Shut it off and on and bada-boom-bada-bing...   It loads up the way I remember in the past.

The Joystick problem is not fixed:  You are also correct about the joystick, it has a section in the "setting".  However I have a feeling this one is going to qualify as a firmware bug. (but that's my opinion).  Reason I say "firmware" is there are really only a few options here:  1)defective joystick switch       2) software no longer detects joystick activity        3) its not configured properly in the setup.    I believe I can rule out #1 and #3.     I can rule out #1 because while a pushed joystick doesn't get me into effects selection from an empty effects slot, once I rotate the knob and grab a random distorsion or something, I can push the same joystick and it seems to get me into the effects sections..  Its fairly quirky in how it works.  If I had a defective joystick, it pretty much wouldn't work 100% of the time.  But if I back up or go forward within the effects menu's, pushing joystick starts to work very normal.  The fair unreliability of this really has the look and feel of a software problem. (but my opinion again).   I can rule out #3 because there are 2 options for the joystick and I've tried both and neither buy me any success.   

joe 

1 hour ago, joeloduca said:

The Joystick problem is not fixed: 

Note: The thing you describe is a feature which was enabled in 2.80 - The issue is that if you do not press the encoder quickly enough it will seem like the model list is not opening leading some, including you, to believe either that the update has a bug or their encoder has failed.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, joeloduca said:

The other thing I notice different when trying to create a new preset:   I can go to an empty block and when I'd want to assign an effect to it, I could "press joystick to open model list"

Try doing a quick press with the joystick instead of a long press.  At some point (I forget exactly when) the behavior of the joystick encoder changed.

50 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Note: The thing you describe is a feature which was enabled in 2.80 - The issue is that if you do not press the encoder quickly enough it will seem like the model list is not opening leading some, including you, to believe either that the update has a bug or their encoder has failed.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

This^^^^!  Also see the link below for specific instructions to change the global parameter setting affecting joystick behavior. It may not be set the way you want it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter said:

That was my first thought too.

But assigning an effect by pressing the joystick should work in both settings

Many people complained about how sensitive this feature was, in fact some even reverted to v2.7 firmware and all was how it had been. Doing this shows that you don’t have a faulty joystick and it is a function in the firmware. Try it - it works. :-)