Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax model as input block, impedance and fuzz face model

Euripide

The fuzz face model seems a little hard to tame with my jtv-69 through the VDI cable. Is it possible that there are no impedance simulation mode to emulate a lower impedance with a fuzz face model when using variax through VDI? Since the impedance is unavailable when Selecting variax model as an input block, I was wondering how it’s actually working within the Helix when a fuzz face is the first in chain in that context.

l’m pretty sure only someone from Line 6 will be able to give a definite answer to that question, but I post it here anyway.

Thanks’ in advance

12 hours ago, Euripide said:

The fuzz face model seems a little hard to tame with my jtv-69 through the VDI cable. Is it possible that there are no impedance simulation mode to emulate a lower impedance with a fuzz face model when using variax through VDI? Since the impedance is unavailable when Selecting variax model as an input block, I was wondering how it’s actually working within the Helix when a fuzz face is the first in chain in that context.

l’m pretty sure only someone from Line 6 will be able to give a definite answer to that question, but I post it here anyway.

Thanks’ in advance

12 hours ago, silverhead said:

The Input-Z parameter is only available through the 1/4”  Guitar input on Helix. It is an analog circuit and does not affect the VDI input.

I have seen this come up before. What would be the best way for VDI connections to deal with the impedance question? Have them digitally emulate the ideal impedance for the first block in the signal chain? Is impedance matching somehow not required with a digital input signal(Variax VDI)?

9 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

What would be the best way for VDI connections to deal with the impedance question?

The simplest I can think of is the TILT EQ. Since the TILT boosts lows while cutting highs (and vice versa in reverse) it's also provides a "pseudo shift" in the peak resonance which is what happens to a pickup under load. That shift can also be fine tuned with the frequency control if one feels ambitious. 

21 hours ago, Euripide said:

The fuzz face model seems a little hard to tame with my jtv-69 through the VDI cable.

IMO, I would try the TILT EQ before the fuzz, and dial it back to about "dark 30" then adjust from there. Have a footswitch turn both the tilt and fuzz on/off at the same time as if they were working together. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, codamedia said:

The simplest I can think of is the TILT EQ. Since the TILT boosts lows while cutting highs (and vice versa in reverse) it's also provides a "pseudo shift" in the peak resonance which is what happens to a pickup under load. That shift can also be fine tuned with the frequency control if one feels ambitious. 

IMO, I would try the TILT EQ before the fuzz, and dial it back to about "dark 30" then adjust from there. Have a footswitch turn both the tilt and fuzz on/off at the same time as if they were working together. 

Thanks’ codamedia, it really makes sense, I will give it a try over the weekend. Great suggestion.

• Thanks 1