mattzz

MIDI Muppet - Another DIY Arduino based 2 button MIDI controller for the Helix HX Stomp

Hi,

this is a little DIY project I built: It's a small Arduino based two button MIDI foot switch for the Helix HX Stomp. It is more flexible and more powerful than the "normal" foot switches connected via TRS cable and as a bonus you can still use an expression pedal hooked up to your HX Stomp.

The MIDI Muppet HX can

• scroll through presets (normal mode)
  • scroll through snapshots (snapshot mode)
  • act as FS4/FS5 (fs mode)
  • bring up the tuner (in any mode)

To cycle through modes, press and hold the right (up) switch. To toggle the tuner, press and hold the left (dn) switch.

If this is something you are interested in building please check out more information at https://github.com/mattzzw/midi_muppet_hx_2btn

Other ideas are integrating tap tempo, looper control, ...

Feedback and ideas are welcome!

Cheers,

/Matthias

midi_muppet_hx.jpg

wiring_mess.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great job on this project! It looks great, its compact, and its inexpensive. Thanks for sharing your plans. I'm not in need of something like this now, but for those who need a MIDI switch, a nice little DIY project like this one will make you feel smart and proud when you're finished.

Thank you @soundog, appreciate your feedback!

I made a couple of changes, the unit can now also control the looper as a 2 button controller (similar to well known 2 button loopers).

In general, my assumption is that most people are interested in either

• switching back and forth between program up/dn and snapshot up/dn mode (plus bringing up the tuner).
  • using the unit as FS4/FS5 while being able to use an expression pedal plugged into EXP1/2
  • using the unit as LOOPER controller

built this but I cant get it to do anything on my stomp. all the lights work as should, just doesnt change anything on the stomp. Im completely new to ardurino so Im sure it user error. 

Pin out is correct. I’m not getting 5v though. Only getting 3.28 before and after the 220R resistor.

I suspect you're using 3.3V version of Arduino. There are 5V and 3.3V ones.

In order to find out which Arduino version you are using, measure the Vcc pin. This is the supply voltage of the MCU created by the onboard voltage regulator.
But from what you are writing I'm pretty sure you are using the 3.3V version.

Luckily MIDI works with 3.3V, so if you are using the 3.3V version you have to change the resistors for the MIDI TX line (pin 5 of MIDI plug) to 10 ohms and for the MIDI voltage reference line (pin 4 of MIDI plug) to 33 ohms.

I will add that to the documentation.

Yes, I just checked. I did get the 3.3v. I am new to this but am enjoining the learning curve. I recently started building my own effect pedals just for fun and learning. This is a great project for learning a little more about midi. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and share with everyone. I’m sure you have a lot of time and knowledge invested. Very kind of you. Thanks again.

Matt

Just to update. I did have the 3v version. I changed the resistors as described . All is good now. Works great. Thanks for taking the time to do this and share with everyone. Great little add on. 

On 7/8/2020 at 3:56 AM, mattzz said:

In order to find out which Arduino version you are using, measure the Vcc pin. This is the supply voltage of the MCU created by the onboard voltage regulator.
But from what you are writing I'm pretty sure you are using the 3.3V version.

Luckily MIDI works with 3.3V, so if you are using the 3.3V version you have to change the resistors for the MIDI TX line (pin 5 of MIDI plug) to 10 ohms and for the MIDI voltage reference line (pin 4 of MIDI plug) to 33 ohms.

I will add that to the documentation.

Hello, excellent work.
I want to ask you if it is possible to modify the code in looper mode so that after the first record it makes an OVERDUB directly and not a PLAY.
The current sequence is:
1 - Record (sw1)
2 - Play (sw1)

The expected sequence is:
1- Record (sw1)
2- Overdub (sw2)

Thank you.
Greetings from Argentina

2 hours ago, hernanpetro said:

I want to ask you if it is possible to modify the code in looper mode so that after the first record it makes an OVERDUB directly and not a PLAY.

Hm, I am not sure about this one for two reasons:

1. In my opinion the REC/PLAY/DUB workflow is the most generic one. However, I do realize that there are loopers out there that can be configured in a REC/DUB/PLAY workflow. I just think it is less common. Take a look at the Ditto X2 looper for example. And coming from the built-in one button looper the REC/PLAY/DUB workflow is pretty much what I am used to ;-)

2. I think it is less confusing if one button controls REC/DUB and the other button controls PLAY/STOP. Putting REC and DUB on different buttons seems very confusing to me.

You can overdub simply by pressing sw1 again in playback: stop --> sw1 --> record --> sw1 --> playback --> sw1 --> overdub.

On 18/8/2020 at 17:06, mattzz said:

Hm, no estoy seguro de este por dos razones:

1. En mi opinión, el flujo de trabajo REC / PLAY / DUB es el más genérico. Sin embargo, me doy cuenta de que existen loopers que se pueden configurar en un flujo de trabajo REC / DUB / PLAY. Creo que es menos común. Eche un vistazo al looper Ditto X2, por ejemplo. Y viniendo del looper de un botón incorporado, el flujo de trabajo REC / PLAY / DUB es bastante a lo que estoy acostumbrado ;-)

2. Creo que es menos confuso si un botón controlar REC / DUB y el otro botón controlar PLAY / STOP. Poner REC y DUB en diferentes botones me parece muy confuso.

Puede sobregrabar simplemente presionando sw1 nuevamente en la reproducción: detener -> sw1 -> grabar -> sw1 -> reproducción -> sw1 -> overdub.

Thanks for your answer.

I want to do is change the code so that sw1 is: Rec - Dud - Rec - Duc .... (no rec-PLAY-overdub)

And sw2 Play-Stop

Is this possible in your code? My knowledge of Arduino is basic.

Add a stereo jack for more possibilities

Thanks you!

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-20 at 16.57.10.jpeg