Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Poweramp and Guitar Cabinet

mrspag

Hi. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get the best sound when using a power and guitar cabinet, instead of running direct? I’ve made some amazing sounding patches that sound great at low levels and and gig level, all running direct. 

I made a separate path at the end of the patch (prior to the IR) that routes the signal 1/4 output. I run that into a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 and then into a Mesa boogie 2x12 with Celestion V30s. 

The sound just doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as the direct out with an IR or stock cab. The sound through the Mesa cab is more harsh and not as satisfying sounding. I’ve fiddled with the EQ on the power amp and the eq on several modeled amps (using mainly the placater clean and dirty). 

Are there any go to tips for getting the best sound out of a guitar power amp and real guitar cab?

15 hours ago, mrspag said:

I’ve made some amazing sounding patches that sound great at low levels and and gig level, all running direct.

To use a traditional guitar cabinet, get rid of your cab or IR blocks and use preamp only amp models.

But honestly, if you've gotten to this point, then you've already left most new users in the dust. Do yourself a favor and invest in a FRFR speaker of some sort if you want something for stage volume/personal monitoring.... because no matter what you do, a real guitar cabinet is not going to sound like what you've already dialed in through an FRFR output. You've created tones with models of mic-ed cabinets... and now you're removing the mic from the equation. It can't be stated enough just how huge a variable the mic is.  If you're trying to get the same sound out of a real cabinet as your direct to FOH tone, it's gonna be an enormous chore involving a significant amount of EQ manipulation and complete reworking of your patches. They're two different worlds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As cruisinon2 stated above, if you love the sound you're getting going direct to the PA, then why are you trying to do something different on stage?  You're adding complexity when it's not necessary.  The vast majority of PA system are using FRFR powered speakers of one variety or another.  All you have to do is add one to your stage setup and run direct to it from the Helix with no changes at all to your presets.

With the tiny amount of money bands get paid nowadays why complicate things and add to the time and expense of setup and teardown??

19 hours ago, mrspag said:

I’ve made some amazing sounding patches that sound great at low levels and and gig level, all running direct. 

You have already succeeded where many struggle! You have freed yourself from traditional amps. 

IMO... Don't look back, move forward and look into adding a good FRFR to your setup!