Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How is the best way to use the new block “acoustic sim”?

CarlesArge

4 hours ago, CarlesArge said:

I’ve just installed the last firmware.

I can see a new block “acoustic sim” I’m very interested on it.

I used a es-335 type

How is the best way to use it?

With amp or not?

With another blocks?

Hi,

This is covered in this video, you may wish to check it out.

https://youtu.be/HMaCTIB9hx0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/13/2021 at 8:45 AM, CarlesArge said:

I’ve just installed the last firmware.

I can see a new block “acoustic sim” I’m very interested on it.

I used a es-335 type

How is the best way to use it?

With amp or not?

With another blocks?

Using Jason's method (the aforementioned video) can get you roughly half way there.  You pretty much need a good IR to get something close to usable, IMO.  Understand that even with a good IR (I chose 3Sigma) you still won't get a good acoustic sound.  The best you can get after a lot of tweaking is something that will just barely pass in a pinch on that night you stupidly forgot to bring your acoustic with you to the gig.  It won't be pretty but you'll finish the night.

I've tried to use the Acoustic Sim but it always sounds like fret buzz to me. Instead, I use a good IR, no amp or cab and I use  a little of the 12 string guitar sim. I also add a little chorus and reverb. It doesn't sound real acoustic but it sounds good which is more important to me. 

Using an acoustic IR as others have mentioned is actually what is recommended in Line6's release notes for the "acoustic sim" block.  Also echo the sentiments that adding a bit of compression, delay, chorus, and/or reverb, can help the sound along.

I personally have found it difficult to get a natural sound with all manufacturers' acoustic modeling efforts designed to be used with an electric guitar. They can absolutely get you through a show without an acoustic, especially in a crowded mix, and if dialed in well can actually sound fairly convincing when used with fingerpicked passages. But... it is almost always on playing chords where they fall down on the job. There must be some very complex harmonics going on when an acoustic guitar is used for playing chords that just doesn't seem to have been modeled that well yet by anyone. At least not in a way that the average user can quickly(or even slowly) dial up. With that said I have heard some wizards manage to eke out some good chord strumming with an electric through acoustic modeling but I have found their results to be almost impossible to replicate and most still fall short to my ears.

I think that Jason Sadites video datacommando posted is a great place to jump off. He does a fine job there. Maybe I just need to spend more time working with this; every time I try I find myself happier returning to just packing an acoustic guitar along with my electric(s). Hats off to those who are able to pull it off and thanks to Line6 for adding this block.  It is a great addition. I know it will come in handy one way or another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brue58ski said:

One thing I'm doing is I create a parallel path with the acoustic sim. I do this with a Variax so YMMV. It allows me to blend things and use the sim to enhance as opposed to simulate, if you know what I mean.

I have tried blending things, but with very limited improvements. The extra complications in the tone structure and plethora of parameter options just did not seem to be worth the trouble.

Are you using any IRs with your Variax acoustic models and if yes, which ones worked best for you with the 5 Variax acoustic guitar models? Obviously it would be helpful if you could share a tone sample.

I just got the chance to try out my acoustic preset/snapshots this weekend and they were better than I was expecting but the down sides were where I expected as well.  I designed via headphones, then quality controlled via my powered wedge (all through my mixer to take its color into consideration as well).....  

1) I used a combination of 2 IR's.  3Sigma Martin 45 2b position and Also the 3c. I split the signal before, and then as they are the last blocks in my signal flow they each run out to the outputs.  

2) I run the Red Compressor > Acoustic Sim > 10 Band EQ > Dimension Chorus > IR's   as my signal path essentially.  The Red Compressor is still a trial thing, It helps hear the attack a bit more (like a thin pick on an acoustic) but it needs work as its a bit too much right now.  I found that the EQ really helps adjust some areas that the Acoustic sim block doesnt touch EQ wise.  I had the Acoustic block providing some low end and bite/presence, but it sounded better to turn those up a bit more than I would on its own, and then dial down some of the frequencies in the EQ.  It really benefited (to my ears/preset) boosting the 500hz band about 3-5db.  I also boosted the 125hz, while bringing down the 60/250hz bands.  

Again the only thing I really heard 'wrong' with my preset (for my needs) was to bring down the highs/presence a bit

• Upvote 1