Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FRFR

gitapik

I'm a first time modeler, getting the hang of the HX Stomp.

Been using headphones so far, both for practice and recording. I also play factory and self made FX presets through my various amps. They're impressive; but I'm starting to think it would be nice to have a small FRFR that will accurately put out the amp/cab DIR patches, which are really nice. Something for home, jams, and small club gigs. 

I'm looking at the Line 6 Powercab 112 and the Headrush FRFR 108. The 12" speaker on the Powercab is a plus vs the 8" of the Headrush...but I don't know how big a difference that makes; as I've not used an FRFR, before. The Headrush is smaller and lighter. And then there's the difference in price...

I know the Powercab offers more features but I'm not sure I'd use them. My reason for buying an FRFR is to get the amps/cabs that I've set up on the Stomp through a portable amp. Not so sure that I need more added through an FRFR...unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for your time.

OK - I'm not a Powercab user - maybe the experience is somehow super special...........

But for the money, you'd have to consider 2x FRFR108s in stereo.

I run a stereo rig, and I'm hooked!

I don't use the 108s, but I've been thinking about auditioning them as it's such a compact rig.

• Upvote 1

I can't provide a comparison between the units mentioned. I use 2xPC+ for full end-to-end integration, and like the sound. I have preiously used wedges which my band, and I, found a bit to 'clinical' or hi-fi. FRFR is a marketing term describing a class of product, it will not tell you how they sound and they all colour the sound in some way.

• Upvote 1

Well here's a twist:

It's been all headphones and a quick try and abandon on my Blues Jr up until now (haven't had it that long). So today I plugged the Stomp into my Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2 (8"). Didn't have the extra cable for the effects return handy, so I plugged into the front.

Spent some time with it. Three EQs at 12:00. Had to do different adjustments with other dials on the amp for the FX vs DIR stuff (and according to the blocks) but it all came out sounding great!

Posted that on a Quilter group and a few other guys have done the same for their different modelers. One guy likes it as much as his two FRFRs. Told me if I like it straight in then I'm gonna love the effects return.

Think I'll stick with this setup for now. Save some $$$. Thanks, guys!

The Powercabs let you use Helix cabs or IRs (FRFR) and the coaxial speaker design sounds different from the separate HF/LF drivers of most other FRFR cabs.

You can use the custom speaker emulations or the raw speaker without the HF driver (like a regular 1-12 cab).

That said, stereo is VERY cool. I have a PC212+ and like it a lot.

However, either the PC212+ or a pair of PC112+ are expensive, vs a pair of FRFR108 or FRFR112, and despite what some will say, sound just fine. I have a FRFR112 that I use for bass.

The issues of long-term dependability/road-worthiness/DSP configurability are the main reasons why you might want to consider the much more expensive Yamaha or QSC offerings over the Headrush cabs

Another possibility is one or more traditional 112 or 212 cabs with the new Celestion FRFR speakers.

(5) Celestion's F12-X200 + F12M-150 Full Range Live Response Speakers - finding the right rig for YOU! - YouTube

• Upvote 1

Here's the bottom line difference between choosing a FRFR style powered speaker or something like a powercab.  For most people the powercab provides a more traditional on stage amp experience whereas any FRFR style powered speaker provides more of an audience experience through the PA.  Those are really the bottom line differences so it really depends on what your needs are.

In my case 90% of my usage is on a live stage and it's important to me to hear what my audience will be hearing when I'm dialing in presets because my entire band all goes direct to the PA without any on stage amps so I don't even own any real amps or cabinets.  I only own FRFR style powered speakers other than the studio monitors I use in my studio.  I will tell you that getting a good representation of how your presets will sound in a live environment will be just as expensive as the powercab.  There's a very good reason why the Headrush 108 is cheaper...it's missing some importnant stuff that you'll find in the more premium level speakers like EV, JBL, Yamaha and QSC.  That may not be important to you, but if it's an accurate representation it will be more expensive because, like anything in life, you get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I will tell you that getting a good representation of how your presets will sound in a live environment will be just as expensive as the powercab.  There's a very good reason why the Headrush 108 is cheaper...it's missing some importnant stuff that you'll find in the more premium level speakers like EV, JBL, Yamaha and QSC.  That may not be important to you, but if it's an accurate representation it will be more expensive because, like anything in life, you get what you pay for.

That’s pretty much what I was wondering about and I appreciate the info.

The sounds from the Stomp coming out of my Quilter are more than good enough to keep me happy for now. I was very happily surprised.

If and when I want or need something that’s totally on the mark, I’ll start taking a look at some of the higher end stuff. Yes: “Thou getteth what thou shelleth out for”

• 1 month later...

What about for use as side speakers in a wet/dry/wet rig?  I run my Helix through my guitar amp (Boogie) using 4CM and I have been tossing around the idea of trying W/D/W.  I've viewed a number of vids on it and I find the sounds intriguing and I have a fairly good idea of how to modify my patches and cabling for it.  My problem is that because I never had the capability or opportunity of trying W/D/W until I got Helix I have no experience with it because let's face it, not everybody can afford lots of rack gear.  I don't know if my side (wet) cabs need to have amp-in-the-room sound or not and I don't know if I should try something as flat as possible or something on the bright side to accentuate the wet harmonics or something beefier to warm up the wet sounds.  I also have no experience with FRFR at all so I don't know which ones are the better sounding.  I've viewed some vids on FRFR and I can hear the differences but none of the ones I've seen apply to or discuss W/D/W.

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2021 at 4:41 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

What about for use as side speakers in a wet/dry/wet rig?  I run my Helix through my guitar amp (Boogie) using 4CM and I have been tossing around the idea of trying W/D/W.  I've viewed a number of vids on it and I find the sounds intriguing and I have a fairly good idea of how to modify my patches and cabling for it.  My problem is that because I never had the capability or opportunity of trying W/D/W until I got Helix I have no experience with it because let's face it, not everybody can afford lots of rack gear.  I don't know if my side (wet) cabs need to have amp-in-the-room sound or not and I don't know if I should try something as flat as possible or something on the bright side to accentuate the wet harmonics or something beefier to warm up the wet sounds.  I also have no experience with FRFR at all so I don't know which ones are the better sounding.  I've viewed some vids on FRFR and I can hear the differences but none of the ones I've seen apply to or discuss W/D/W.

I've been off the forum for awhile, MGW...so didn't see this post.

I don't have any experiencer with using multiple amps. Have always been a single amp player. W/D/W sounds like a good idea, though. Have you tried it out, yet?

10 hours ago, gitapik said:

I've been off the forum for awhile, MGW...so didn't see this post.

I don't have any experiencer with using multiple amps. Have always been a single amp player. W/D/W sounds like a good idea, though. Have you tried it out, yet?

For right now it seems kind of cost prohibitive as an experiment.

WDW can be a fun setup, if you play alone and in a proper environment with enough room space. Otherwise is just a waste for everyone.

I was used to play with WDW for few years, then I realized was just plain useless live (unless you are playing for just one guy sitting just behind your head).

Also was a terrible PITA to convert all my WDW presets, to "normal" stereo or dual mono presets.