Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stiff volume pot on JTV-89F

I do some volume swells using the volume pot on my guitar and on the JTV-89F I just got, the pot is pretty tight.  Is there an easy way to loosen it up?  Or, is it possible to swap it out for another pot (what are the values)?

I took a peek at it and I can see that it appears to be a dual gang pot.... at least I think it is.

Nothing under the hood of a Variax is standard as far as the electronics are concerned. Even if you've replaced a thousand "normal" volume pots, this won't be what you're used to...you've got the mag pickups, the piezos, and all of it is tied to the main board where the magic is stored. Tread cautiously...

I understand what you are trying to say, but a pot is a pot. 

Unless it is actually a digital encoder, which I doubt, then it is a potentiometer with a certain value and a certain taper.  I'm just asking what that value is, and if it is a log or audio taper (I'm assuming log).  I think it's probably a dual gang, so confirmation of that would be helpful.

All the "special" stuff would be happening in the Variax circuitry, and I can't believe that the pot itself has any bearing on that beyond those values/characteristics I've mentioned..

2 hours ago, rockmancentral said:

I understand what you are trying to say, but a pot is a pot. 

Unless it is actually a digital encoder, which I doubt, then it is a potentiometer with a certain value and a certain taper.  I'm just asking what that value is, and if it is a log or audio taper (I'm assuming log).  I think it's probably a dual gang, so confirmation of that would be helpful.

All the "special" stuff would be happening in the Variax circuitry, and I can't believe that the pot itself has any bearing on that beyond those values/characteristics I've mentioned..

Have at it then...

"I wonder if it would be possible to get some lubricating tuner cleaner down the shaft to loosen it up."

I have tried that, of course.  Still pretty stiff, to the point where if I roll it on the edge of my palm, like I normally do, I can't turn it from 0 to 10 unless I put a fair amount of force against it.  Interesting that your volume is fine but you have the issue with your tone.  Perhaps it's possible I just got an extra tight one and maybe looser ones exist at Line 6 in @psarkissian secret stash?

"Have at it then..."

Well, I will as soon as I can get a reply from someone that can tell me the value, which was my original request.

OK, I went ahead and opened up my JTV-89F and took a closer look.

The volume is a 3 gang pot, with a A500K, and (2) B10K pots.

The Tone is a 2 gang pot, with a A500K, and a B10K pot.

So I would expect that the A (audio) gangs are for the magnetics and the B (log) are for the Variax (10K is a typical value for expression pedals).

So yes, they are "special" because it is not common to have mixed values in a multi-gang pot, much less the custom PC board that is used to connect to them and the interface cables.

But no, in that, they are pots, and pots are pots.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you buy it used? I had found that I kept bumping into my Variax 89F volume pot which in turn kept changing it. So I took the volume knob off of the post and put a rubber washer on the post. I then put the volume knob back on the post. Now it is actually hard to turn but I was never a volume pot guy anyway. I think this was a tip I got off of this forum so if you haven't already, carefully take the volume pot off of the post and see if anything has been put there to make it hard to turn.