Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Isolationing specific Variax string for effects?

The Helix and the Variax are a powerful combination. I know I can change the tuning of each individual string and volume of each string for each preset.

I'd like to add a bass octave to the E string, but *only* the E string. In theory I'd like to take the bottom track and use it exclusively for modeling the lowest string to add a bass effect and then the top track for everything else.

However, it doesn't seem that this is possible. I was wondering if any of you knew how I could maybe achieve that?

Since you know that you can adjust the string tuning individually I assume you have tried tuning only the low E string down an octave. What are you looking for that is not accomplished by this? Perhaps I’m not understanding your terminology. What do you mean by the bottom and top tracks?

If by ‘tracks’ you mean Paths in the Helix preset then no, you can’t isolate a single Variax string as the Input to Path 2 and the other 5 strings as the Input to Path 1.

I’m trying to think outside the box a bit here. Each Input block, Path 1 and Path 2, has a number of Variax settings. One of them specifies a Variax Model. I don’t know if you can use two different Variax models simultaneously. But if so, you could potentially use Workbench HD to create the two models. One model would minimize Volume level of the low E string while the other model would minimize the levels of the other 5 strings and tune down the low E an octave.. 

I have no idea if this would work

Thinking further, I know you can use Variax Mags as one Input and Variax (a model) as the other Input. So if you can accept using the magnetic pickups for one path and the custom low E model I described above then I believe you can get what you want.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:21 AM, silverhead said:

Thinking further, I know you can use Variax Mags as one Input and Variax (a model) as the other Input. So if you can accept using the magnetic pickups for one path and the custom low E model I described above then I believe you can get what you want.

This is the only way I can think of as changes to the Variax model on either path are applied to both input paths (the Helix is forcing the Variax to apply settings not processing the Variax within the Helix).

No idea how precedence is achieved but you can't (for example) have Path A having a variax with every string at full volume and Path B with just the 6th string at full with an octaver applied.

I think the answer to what you are asking is no. I had inquired awhile ago about the possibility of having the strings audio paths going to the Helix split so they could each be processed individually. Cannot happen. The Helix only transmits and receives data on a per string basis. Control commands. The audio signal itself is one channel only. i.e. all of the strings audio go to the Helix mixed into one channel of audio.

Doing that kind of string tuning can't be done using Helix, but it can be done from the Variax as a custom patch in Workbench HD.

But still cannot be processed on a separate signal path i the Helix.

"Individual strings cannot be routed through Helix separately from the others. ", and this is correct.

"I had inquired awhile ago about the possibility of having the strings audio paths going to the Helix split so they could

each be processed individually. Cannot happen. ", and this is correct.