Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Live Amp For Jtv And Pod Hd 500?

I have had problems getting good stage tone(s) when playing live with my JTV-69 thru a POD HD 500.  I've tried a Laney solid state acoustic amp, a Koch tube amp (both run out of the POD and into the effects return), and a full-range Carvin powered PA speaker.  I play covers, so I use a variety of tones, including acoustic ones.  What do you all think is the best way to amplify this rig?  The DT series amps seem more geared towards electric tones.

For a mix of electric and acoustic tones I suggest using an FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) speaker system, or something close to it. This means studio/PA speakers or a keyboard amp.

Sounds like your Carvin PA speaker should have delivered good results. If you weren't satisfied, check your HD500 settings. Set it to Studio output mode. Use Full rather than Pre amp models to include cab/mic simulations in the amp modeling.

To further my predicament, in the past two years I've fried the Carvin speaker (not sure of the model number but it's their powered FR 12" PA speaker, a PM12 maybe?) not once but twice--most recently last night. I've had the output switch to "line" most of the past few months and the speaker volume at 9 o'clock, but I've also had it set to "amp" and raised the speaker volume to halfway. I've used an XLR out to the speaker, as well as a quarter inch wire. The POD output is usually set to about 3/4. I don't know if the Carvin speaker just plain sucks and I should get a QSC or a Stage Source unit. Or am I just doing something wrong. I have the output setting to "studio."

I've heard this sentiment on here before but, I just wish I could get as good a sound as when I'm home listening thru headphones.

get the L series if your wallet supports... L2t or L3t and you will never look back...

+1,000 to this! The smallest of the L series, the L2 is still *insanely* powerful. And it sounds really nice jamming tunes through it; I had Paul Simon's album Graceland pumped up last night, and the L2's just rock. I can't wait till I get the last round of gear paid off so I can get a pair of L3

• Upvote 1

Firstly, thanks for the responses. Secondly, this would strictly be a guitar "amp" for me, I'm not sure I see the value in having the mixer that the L2t provides.  And the hundred dollar difference is somewhat important to me. Of course if the sound is somehow better with the L2t over the L2m than the hundred dollars is nothing. 

I ordered an L2 and should have it sometime this week. My questions are these: the speaker setting should be "reference/PA" on the L2, correct? And the "line/amp" switch on the POD should be "line?" Thanks again.

I have the JTV-69, HD500 and the L2t.  The last piece of the puzzle was the L2t.  You will not be be disappointed and never have lack of power.  With great power comes great responsibility........

I ordered an L2 and should have it sometime this week. My questions are these: the speaker setting should be "reference/PA" on the L2, correct? And the "line/amp" switch on the POD should be "line?" Thanks again.

Yes to both.

Will you be using the L6 LINK connection from the Pod HD to the L2? If not, I would use the rear panel Line In connections on the L2 to receive the Pod HD audio output. I would use the RCA connectors; this would require a pair of 1/4" to RCA adapters, or a stereo cable with different connectors on each end.

• 1 month later...

+1,000 to this! The smallest of the L series, the L2 is still *insanely* powerful. And it sounds really nice jamming tunes through it; I had Paul Simon's album Graceland pumped up last night, and the L2's just rock. I can't wait till I get the last round of gear paid off so I can get a pair of L3

Ditto. I went for the L3m which is WAY more powerful than I need. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it though, right? With the smart mode set to 'electric guitar' and the POD to 'studio direct' the rig sounds absolutely awesome. The L3 really brings the pod alive plus it seems easier to dial in a great tone on the pod.