These forums are read only, please use our new Community here.

Main :: Variax Electric

Variax 300, Variax 600, Variax 700

Variax as a midi controller?
by Didejek on 2007-03-10 00:52:57.6240
Hello,

I found a Variax-Vetta Wireless manual on Vettaville and it gave me idea for my rig. I would like my tech to build me a device which could be controlled from Variax and react to program change commands (from 5-way switch and model selection knob). This would replace my Variax Power Supply/DI Box and switch between two outputs (acoustic and electric amp) automatically. Assuming that Variax is sending midi commands (I guess that's how it communicates with Workbench) all I need is a schematic for VDI-MIDI OUT cable (only midi out from Variax wired to cable, I will still use TRS for power and audio). Can anyone help me?

Re: Variax as a midi controller?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2007-03-10 01:05:17.1840
I suppose it could be done but it's a lot of work just to A/B switch between acoustic and electric models. Just use the wireless diagram from Vettaville to give you the MIDI pin outs from the VDI and record the change commands from the Variax into a MIDI sequencer so you can trap the change command for the acoustic models that you will need for your MIDI controlled A/B switch.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Didejek on 2007-03-10 01:48:38.6070
Unfortunatelly wireless diagram is for MIDI IN and I need exactly opposite - MIDI OUT. I will handle everything else... ermm... Actually my tech will ;).

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2007-03-10 01:55:40.2020
The diagrams certainly narrow down the possibilities for the MIDI out from the Variax though.

http://www.vettaville.nl/VettaVariaxWL2.jpg

Keep in mind that the VDI supplies power to the Variax not the other way around so it wouldn't be difficult to isolate the MIDI out from the Variax. If you use a multi-meter on the VDI output from a Vetta or PODxt Live you will quickly find the two pins supplying power, eliminate those and the MIDI IN will leave you with only two twisted pair to test.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2007-03-10 02:05:27.6700
I do things the easy way. My PODxt Live goes straight into the PA so when I select a patch on my PODxt Live that calls for an acoustic guitar then I either have amp off in the POD or I use an acoustic amp model in the POD.

If I wanted to, I could use the MIDI out of the PODxt Live to achieve what you are wanting to do. I hit the footswitch, it would select the acoustic model in the Variax and send a change command out the MIDI port that could go to a MIDI controlled A/B switch. It's a different approach that would achieve the same outcome if you had a PODxt Live or Vetta.

by roblof on 2007-03-10 02:20:13.1660
On the vbass-700/705. Should probably be the same as on the 300/500/700.

On the rj-connector
2: PWR (7v)
1: GND

4: AES-
5: AES+

8: RX-
7: RX+
6: TX-
3: TX+

Good Luck!
/--rob (a.k.a. Nickname)

changed from internal to external connector

Message was edited by: roblof

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2007-03-10 02:23:50.9890
It would be the same because you can plug a Variax bass into the PODxt Live.

by Didejek on 2007-03-10 03:16:35.7990
This should help, thanks :)

by BrianWren on 2007-05-14 14:19:15.9970
What is AES? (AES+ & AES-)

Where did you find these pinouts?

Do you know what the voltage levels are?

Do you know what the maximum baud rate is?

How do you look at the plug to find pin 1?

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2007-05-14 14:44:15.8770
Just look at any RJ45 spec sheet it tells you which is pin 1.

The voltage is specified - 7V.

Just out of curiosity, what are you planning on doing because anyone with the technical knowledge required to play around with such things would know what AES or (AES/EBU) is.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES3

by BrianWren on 2007-05-15 07:43:40.9690
I think your assessment is just a bit elitist... I have electronics knowledge, but a lack of experience with current communication protocols and uses. I used to be a pretty active electronics hobbyist, expeimenting with microcontrollers and such, but it's been a while.

I am interested in creating a single use, dedicated wireless for the Variax Digital Interface. (I don't want to adapt other wireless communication systems, such as those that already exist for MIDI wireless.)

Any information I can gather from the experience and knowledge of others will make things just that much easier. (It is better to know where to find information than to have the actual knowledge sometimes, because the ability to find it is a skill that persists, while knowledge can become dated.)

And so: AES is what, then?

by BrianWren on 2007-05-15 07:50:11.5990
If I follow that WIKI article (thanks), and take what I know about the Variax, the AES pair carries data in one direction only: From the variax to the Vetta/POD. Is that right?

So there are 2 channels of communication FROM the Variax (the AES pair, and the Rx pair), and one channel of communication TO the Variax, the Tx pair. Is that your understanding as well?

by bengunn on 2007-05-16 08:31:25.0330
The AES pair is the digital sound signal from the Variax, the Tx and Rx pairs are the MIDI each way. MIDI is a current loop rather than voltage signal and the Baud rate is always 31250 Baud.

by BrianWren on 2007-05-17 09:47:32.8490
In just thinking about it . . .

In normal paying, is just the AES channel active?

Is the TX used in normal use only when the POD or Vetta sends an instrument change instruction?

Is the RX used only when connected to a PC, for sending to the PC the current configuration?

The reason I as is that if all of the above is true, the only thing necessary for a wireless setup (if no instrument-changes are used) would be transmitting the AES channel.

At most during performance, all the would be nec. is one channel from the player to the equipment, and one channel from the equipment to the Variax.

that is, IF I follow the concept that seems to be implied by the interface, and the assertion that the audio is on the AES channel, and the TX and RX carry MIDI.

by roblof on 2007-10-21 17:49:16.2050
So how did it go?