#1 Cure4Optimism

Cure4Optimism

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

Hello,

There has been discussion about headphones and the required impedance. I recently acquired an hd500 and was a bit skeptical about the requirement of high >300ohm impedance headphones.

I had a Sennheiser Amperior hedaphones, these are quite neutral, closed back, easy to drive low impedance headphones (18ohm). They cost about 150-200 euro. When paired with the hd500 I thought the sound was not bad, but the limited soundstage of closed back headphones made the sound quite congested. The worst was that I got random disgusting noises that I thought were caused by ground loops when connecting the pod to the computer.

Then I bought a Sennheiser Hd600, these are quite neutral too, but are 300 ohm and quite difficult to drive and open back. The sound now is really open, like if you were listening to an amp in a room, and best of all, there was no trace of the disgusting digital noises I had with the Amperiors. I bought them on amazon for 220 euros-

I tested with my IEMs, vsonic gr04, that are quite neutral-middle centric with low impedance, and I got the noises back. Although they have greater soundstage than the Amperiors, they sounded fatiguing and congested too.

So, IMHO, if you have to choose headphones to use with the POD’s HD:

·        Try to get high impedance headphones as Line6 recommends.

·        Open Back headphones will give you more open sound and a feel closer to playing through an amp.

I hope it helps someone

Nestor

PS: excuse my English, it’s not my native language…

#2 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

Other option would be to use a headphone Amp to drive your low impedance headphones.

#3 Brazzy

Brazzy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

Nice post, It's nice to have the oppertunity to try differenent headphones to actually hear the difference between them. I just went though a long process of trying to figure out which headphones would be good for me and it wasn't easy, lol. After some discussion "hear" about the subject and much searching online and in stores I chose the Beyerdynamic DT990 600 Ohm Open Backed. Think I made a good diecision here. When I develop a patch for dgital recording it's so close to the recording, they feel great on my head and the sound doesn't hurt my ears or head so I can play around for quite a while. I think manufacturer is right about it's range in that it reads the lows and highs and cuts some of the mids, but in a good way IMO. Oh when I get that nasty digital clipping when building a patch, 'cause you know it's gonna happen, it doesn't hurt my ears like the lower impedance headphones.

I mostly play at home and my own music which is more of a bluesy Jazzy Rock mixture as I'm still learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. In a nutshell I'm always learning and having fun doing it. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not.

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#4 Cure4Optimism

Cure4Optimism

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

Other option would be to use a headphone Amp to drive your low impedance headphones.

True, that's another option. You can use the line out to drive some small cheap headphone amp like the Fiio e6 to a IEM or low impedance headphones,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500, headphones, impedance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users