Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning multiple events to a single footswitch

bryanrensema

Just got a Firehawk and I'm returning it due to the patch lag time. Thus, I'm either going to spring for an HD500x or a BOSS GT-100.

As I am VERY comfortable with the functionality of the GT series I'm leaning that way but I LOVE my Firehawk sound - it just isn't a box that can be used on stage.

The ONE thing that I'm unsure that the HD500x can do is this: I want to assign multiple events to a SINGLE footswitch within a single patch. For example, I have a rhythm patch where, when I hit a single footswitch, it turns my chorus OFF, my delay ON, boosts my mids a little, and gives a slight volume boost either via my modeled amp volume or my master volume. I used to do this all the time on my old BOSS GT-series pedals (that have all broken now).

Can this be done on the HD500x?

Also, can someone please CONFIRM that there is no (or at least a miniscule) time lag between patch changes on the HD500x? Because, if the unit doesn't have the aforementioned footswitching capability, I can likely get by via simply having multiple patches and do the same thing (but I'd rather not).

Thanks in advance and I hope that all you Line-6 gurus out there can make me switch over from BOSS!

The POD can definitely do this.  In fact, when I bought my POD a couple of months ago, I was convinced that I would be using it in preset mode only.  But once I got the thing, the footswitches and expression pedal are so useful that I haven't needed to switch presets during any songs.  Some songs with crazy FX (Like a Stone with the Pitch Glide is one example) will have their own preset, but within that preset I use the four switches at the top to turn FX on and off.  Like you, when I go from clean to distortion I turn off my chorus and turn on the distortion box.

You can also use the pedal to change many parameters incrementally, but I haven't needed this yet.  I think that would be useful if you want one amp for clean and another for distortion... you can set them up in different paths and use the pedal to fade between them (while also fading out the chorus and fading in the delay, for example).  I haven't needed this because I use the same amp for clean, then kick on the Line 6 Drive for distortion, but it's there if you want it and many people use it.

• Upvote 1

To be clear, I don't think you can use footswitches to change amp settings, you would have to set the expression pedal for that.  But you could have a footswitch turn on an EQ with the settings that you want for your distorted tone, giving you the volume boost and the mids boost.  So you could have "chorus off, distortion pedal on, EQ pedal on, delay pedal on" all happen with one footswitch.

Me, I use the SLO Crunch as my main amp model, then I kick on the Line 6 Drive when I want to go into distortion mode.  I don't bother with different amps or even different amp states (clean, crunch, distortion) in the same patch.  It's all very clean and easy to use on stage.

• Upvote 1

Let's not pretend that there's no lag between patch switches. 

OP should definitely try one in a store to see if it's manageable for him. 

Having instantaneously switching on a unit like this just isn't possible.

I agree, a person's sound, and gear used to get that sound is the same as getting new shoes- best if you try it on for size. The HD500 does have a lot under the hood, so naturally you will never get zero lag.

• Upvote 1

Traded-in my Firehawk for a HD-500x and haven't looked back! Pretty much everything that I was looking for and more!

Tons of tone, and enough flexibility for me to do what I need. I'm sure I'll hit some limitations as I push the envelope but that is expected!

Thus far any lag between patches hasn't bothered me in the least!

I'm probably going to spring for an EXP2 pedal to afford more options in the future but a quick question before I do - is the connection 1/4" 2 conductor or TRS? Furthermore, if it is 2-conductor, could I put a momentary or latching footswitch in the circuit in-place of the EXP pedal and "fool" the unit into having "off" be heel down and "on" being toe down?

Thanks for all the replies and I can't wait to get deeper into this sucka!

I'm probably going to spring for an EXP2 pedal to afford more options in the future but a quick question before I do - is the connection 1/4" 2 conductor or TRS? Furthermore, if it is 2-conductor, could I put a momentary or latching footswitch in the circuit in-place of the EXP pedal and "fool" the unit into having "off" be heel down and "on" being toe down?

Thanks for all the replies and I can't wait to get deeper into this sucka!

Don't know if it is TS or TRS, but I use a TS patchcable for my home made footswitch with led ( so you know when it is on or off...)

Sammy

It's TS...2 conductor.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem.

If you have in your block of FX the following - delay, chorus, dist, and reverb.

With regard to assigning these FX to footswitches(FS). Can you assign the one Effect to multiple FS or can only assign the FX to one FS?

for example can you say.

FS1 dist, FS2 - dist chorus, FS3 Chorus delay, FS 4 Dist Delay Chorus etc etc.

Thanks

I am having a similar problem.

If you have in your block of FX the following - delay, chorus, dist, and reverb.

With regard to assigning these FX to footswitches(FS). Can you assign the one Effect to multiple FS or can only assign the FX to one FS?

for example can you say.

FS1 dist, FS2 - dist chorus, FS3 Chorus delay, FS 4 Dist Delay Chorus etc etc.

Thanks

You can only assign an effect to one switch, but one switch can have multiple, different effects.

Being able to assign a single effect to more than one switch would be useful though.

• 1 year later...

Hello friends,

I need help with the following issue:

I have one song with two different delays in it.

My chain is: AMP -> DIGITAL DELAY -> PING PONG DELAY -> MIXER

1. I start my song with both delays off

2. Then I need Digital Delay ON and Ping Pong Delay OFF as I play the song

3. Then I need Digital Delay OFF and Ping Pong Delay ON at the same moment with a single FS press

4. Then I need Digital Delay ON and Ping Pong Delay OFF at the same moment with a single FS press

5. Then I reverse to both delays off

How can I do that with SINGLE FS PRESS, especially for 3 and 4 stages of the song ?

Regards,

Alin.

Hello friends,

I need help with the following issue:

I have one song with two different delays in it.

My chain is: AMP -> DIGITAL DELAY -> PING PONG DELAY -> MIXER

1. I start my song with both delays off

2. Then I need Digital Delay ON and Ping Pong Delay OFF as I play the song

3. Then I need Digital Delay OFF and Ping Pong Delay ON at the same moment with a single FS press

4. Then I need Digital Delay ON and Ping Pong Delay OFF at the same moment with a single FS press

5. Then I reverse to both delays off

How can I do that with SINGLE FS PRESS, especially for 3 and 4 stages of the song ?

Regards,

Alin.

Assign both delays to a single switch, disable one of them, and save the preset at some point with the delays in this state. When you hit the assigned switch, it will alternate between the two delays.

To then have both delays off, you could assign the mix parameter of each delay to the same expression controller, with the min being zero. Of course, you'll have to remember to have the pedal controlling the expression controller in the max position (likely the toe position) to utilize the delays.

Assign both delays to a single switch, disable one of them, and save the preset at some point with the delays in this state. When you hit the assigned switch, it will alternate between the two delays.

To then have both delays off, you could assign the mix parameter of each delay to the same expression controller, with the min being zero. Of course, you'll have to remember to have the pedal controlling the expression controller in the max position (likely the toe position) to utilize the delays.

Thank you!

I'm at half way now, I presume :)

I assigned both delays to the same FS, it alternates them, everything is fine.

I kinda tripped at assigning the mix of both delays to the same expression controller.

I put a volume pedal after the amp and before the two delays in my chain, I guess it is corect, isn't it ?

Then I tried to assign the mix of each delay to the EXP2 but maybe I do something wrong on mix max and min because it still does not work properly. I will try again.

The problem I found is that only my EXP2 is active, I cannot assign anything on EXP1, the pedal does not do anything. Strange, only my EXP2 led is active while my EXP1 led is off forever, I cannot make it work.

Thank you!

I'm at half way now, I presume :)

I assigned both delays to the same FS, it alternates them, everything is fine.

I kinda tripped at assigning the mix of both delays to the same expression controller.

I put a volume pedal after the amp and before the two delays in my chain, I guess it is corect, isn't it ?

Then I tried to assign the mix of each delay to the EXP2 but maybe I do something wrong on mix max and min because it still does not work properly. I will try again.

The problem I found is that only my EXP2 is active, I cannot assign anything on EXP1, the pedal does not do anything. Strange, only my EXP2 led is active while my EXP1 led is off forever, I cannot make it work.

For the volume block, if that is where you want to place it, then it is correct. :)

To change what controller the onboard pedal controls, you'll have to toggle the toe-switch, located underneath the pedal. On new devices, possibly even older ones, this switch can be difficult to engage, so press on the pedal quite hard. Might not be able switch it if you're using your hand. The default controller for volume is EXP2, so try assigning the delays' mix parameters to EXP1. You note above you can't assign anything to EXP1. Not sure why that would be. Using the editor, you should be able to do this easily on the controllers tab. On the device, I believe a double press of Move gets you there.