Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

That's my petition on Ideascale, just FYI

Inerzia

I've been asking for an auto wah since I got the HD500.
The mutron model doesn't cut it for me, and I've missed the "plain but nice" auto wah on the XT Live.
Why not, instead of a dedicated auto wah, create two kinds of modifiers for parameters?
One, an LFO that can be tempo synced, and two, a touch/pick dynamics sensor, both assignable to any parameter that can be now controlled by the expression pedals.

That would make customizable auto wahs and "auto" lots of things

If you like the idea, vote on it
http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Auto-wah-or-auto-everything!-for-Helix/727014-23508

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I voted on this a while back. In the meantime, I discovered that you can get an LFO type filter sweep sound using Sweep Echo. Just set the delay at 0 and the mix at 100%, and then play with the speed, depth, etc. controls. Works for me to simulate the synth patch on Seal's "Crazy".

I voted on this a while back. In the meantime, I discovered that you can get an LFO type filter sweep sound using Sweep Echo. Just set the delay at 0 and the mix at 100%, and then play with the speed, depth, etc. controls. Works for me to simulate the synth patch on Seal's "Crazy".

While this works, the big downside is the modulation itself can't be synced to BPM, producing unreliable results. In addition, any sort of modulation of parameters needs to have the ability of the modulation to be triggered by the a note strike, and various ways of controlling the modulation once triggered. So if Line 6 does do something like this, hopefully it will be a complete implementation of it. Hint, take a look at how Fractal does this stuff.

This sounds cool, but I have no idea what it is.  Can you point me to a youtube video or clip?

I'm gonna try to explain what they both are:

-LFO, Low frequency oscillator: That would be a section of a circuit that is designed to produce a variable (or oscillating) output. 

Oscillators intended for musical uses are normally adjustable in different ways, like frequency, amplitude or waveform.

(if you need clarification of what those are, I think this video can help you) 

Modern implementations of LFOs are BPM syncable.

-Envelope filter: Basically, they sense the strength of the incoming signal (e.g. your guitar) and use that value to interact with the other usual parameters of an envelope filter, which are Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release (ADSR). I think this video provides almost all the info you need about how they work

Now imagine, instead of applying those modifiers to a filter (a wha, for example, like autowhas do), you could control any parameter of any block on the Helix with the strength of your picking. What would you do with it? 

Can the Helix software not be changed so to sync an LFO setting with BPM?

Yes, it can, but only those effects that include an LFO.

Can you imagine being able to control delay parameters with LFO and/or envelope filter? For example, the feedback, what if you could control it with the dynamics of your playing, so that softer notes had less repetitions than louder ones.

What about a flanger and a phaser, for example, that are toggled by an LFO, synced to half notes, so that, in a 4/4 time signature, the flanger is on (active) during the first half of every measure and the phaser is active during the second half?

Those are just examples that I just came up with. The possibilities are so vast...

• 4 years later...

no way to get LFO or ADSR make random changes in yal HX N no BPM Sync ....m@n it sounds like a joke o_O

........yet very boring IMHO coz no way to spice up sonic texture !!!! (the Divider/Mixer blocks on Gt100/1K do a killer job)

Damn i can do this with my old Zoom G9 N my GT100 (2 not say Gt1K) im actually so surprised that the great Helix itself doesn't have such an antique feature 3>

I understand now why most of HX users sound in their demos so flat & linear ....except Matteo Mancuso !!! (Line6/Yamaha Endorsee)

i can control anything from a Delay FB/Time or a Drive stomp Gain/Vol. by just picking softer or harder or assigning various Wave Pedals (not just one type!)

maybe in 2021 it is not true anymore ? Does anybody can confirm this fact...