Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Barberpole phaser vs Script Mode Phase Opto Tremolo vs Optical tremelo

isdirg1

Though I am "happy" with my Helix so far I have found that some of the effects are not the same (or as good as) my Pod HD500x.

There is only one Phaser and that Phaser (based on the MXR) is not as "Swirly) as the Barberpole Phaser in my old unit.

Like wise some of the tremolos offered don't seem to have the same dynamics as my old Pod.

The old Opto tremolo had a lot more editing capability and seemed "sharper" than the Optical Tremelo.

Will there be a chance to add new effects models in the future?

Cheers Don.

As a long time Line 6 user based on past history I think its fairly certain they will be adding new models of amps and effects as time passes even if they can't legally confirm it.  Since Yamaha bought them they have become subject to pretty strict SEC rules on what they can announce as a public company.  However, I don't think their philosophy of growth and improvement has changed one bit...

I wondered more than once which are the reasons of L6 (unlike some other brands) for not giving almost everything there is to give to a product already from the outset ..

- do they do so to keep the interest of the customers for a long time?..

- are they a small team and they try to keep up with the big names of the competition and therefore they release their products before they are completed?..

- do they want to sell add-ons in the future?..

Well, I don't know what other brands you're thinking of, but I think with the Helix it is simply that the development of the amps and effects was started from the ground up, so every model was brand new even if it was something that had been modeled previously. I imagine that the reason they didn't simply port over previous models was to  avoid criticism that they were simply "repackaging" old tech into new hardware (an accusation I've read in regards to other products).

Practically no one in this field releases a product without having some sort of update and development plan in mind. Even Boss, which historically hasn't done a whole lot in the way of development through updates, released a pretty substantial update to the GT-100 for the 2.0 firmware. I think customers have become accustomed to seeing products developed over time, so rather than simply releasing a product and declaring it "done", there's the expectation that these things are going to be continually supported over a span of several years.

To be fair though, isn't the AX8 simply another piece of hardware using the existing software?  They didn't have to create all new stuff for it...

however I see your point regarding products developed over time and I agree with this point of view, but IMHO a product of this price class should be packed already from the outset with more models similarly to an AX8.

I know that the development of the amps and effects was started from the ground up, but if I remember correctly, about 5 years ago L6 started the project of this new processor Helix..

I wonder how long it takes to complete each model.. perhaps a month, I do not know.. I would like to know..

however I see your point regarding products developed over time and I agree with this point of view, but IMHO a product of this price class should be packed already from the outset with more models similarly to an AX8..

even an Atomic Amplifire which is around 600 and is only a very simple modeler has more models and of excellent quality

Well, Fractal has one set of code that is shared between all of their existing products (and really going back to the original Axe FX). Line 6 has 4 generations of amp modeling altogether, and I believe all but the 2.0 code are used in current products still. It's exactly an apple to apples comparison. Fractal has really just been continually developing the same base code since the Axe FX was released in 2006. I think it's just the difference between being a company with a broad product base like Line 6 vs being a small boutique company that focuses just on one thing.

That being said, I do think that Line 6 is focusing a lot on Helix development, and it's progressing faster than what I remember with previous Line 6 products.

I'm sure there will be plenty of updates in the future as all previous L6 products have had.  Whether they are free updates or paid expansion packs remains to be seen.  In the meantime there are plenty of suggestion threads on the IdeaScale page for what people want to see added.  Me personally...I want the synth that was in the POD HD500X.  That became an integral effect for one of my songs.

true!!..

however in my opinion, in the current state of things, the price of the AX8 is more justified than for Helix .. as it offers much more quantitatively, especially regarding what really matters to most of us: the models..

perhaps would have been more fair that the basic cost of Helix was lower, but was upgradeable by adding more models at a cost, so as to align with the competition in the overall cost for about the same amount of things offered..

if you do a quick math, you can realize that currently each model included into Helix costs much more than each model included into the AX8, and even if they are all excellent quality surely they are not better than the Fractal ones

Unfortunately, you don't get the Helix interface on those Fractal products...which, IMO...is their downfall. That said, feel free to use the Fractal product. I don't think anyone is forcing you to use a Helix, no? If you feel the Fractal is a better bargain, go for it. If it works for you...that's all that matters. 

To each their own...

true!!..

however in my opinion, in the current state of things, the price of the AX8 is more justified than for Helix .. as it offers much more quantitatively, especially regarding what really matters to most of us: the models..

perhaps would have been more fair that the basic cost of Helix was lower, but was upgradeable by adding more models at a cost, so as to align with the competition in the overall cost for about the same amount of things offered..

if you do a quick math, you can realize that currently each model included into Helix costs much more than each model included into the AX8, and even if they are all excellent quality surely they are not better than the Fractal ones

Well, the models are only part of it. Honestly, the sheer number of amp models available to me isn't really a huge selling point. As long as I have a half dozen or so that I really like, I'm happy. That's just me. I am pretty boring when it comes what amps I like. I gravitate towards Fenders and Vox amps mainly, and sometimes like some of the more Plexi-ish tones.

Beyond that, though, the Helix offers a ton of flexibility that the AX8 doesn't. The AX8 doesn't do USB audio in any way, shape, or form. The Helix is an 8-in, 8-out interface. The AX8 uses Fractal's grid system which does allow a certain amount of flexibility in signal routing, but you are limited to the actual physical ins and outs. The Helix offers Variax integration. The scribble strips and LCD on the Helix just simply make it a joy to use. If I want to use the Helix as a dedicated effects processor, I can use both chips for effects - on the AX8, I can only use one. You can't do multi-amp tones on the AX8. I could go on...

Both devices have their feature sets, and you either like them or you don't. Personally, I think even at $1500 the Helix is a good deal considering all that can be replaced with it.

Helix absolutely destroys the AX8 in useability, routing, recording options, live configuration, onboard editing, and its sounds are on-par to the point that slightly "less-detailed" amp modeling is MORE than made up for by the other options that no other MFX is really doing right now like the interface, scribble strips, footboard editing, all of the MIDI control options......

And I've heard just as many AFX's sound like poop out in the real world as I have PODs, because ultimately, a Zoom G3 can sound as convincing as an AFXIIXL ULTRA MEGA or whatever they're on now when its dialed in and set into a mix.....

I really was not aware of the lack of USB audio :o in the AX8, and to be honest I consider this thing enough disqualifying..

-------------

however, just to talk, I also don't feel the need to have dozens and dozens of models, and I'm not so much interested in the IR loading ability..

I still use the HD500 which at the moment is more than enough for me..

in any case if I ever decide to spend 3 times as much, it would be to have 3 times more models rather than for else..

as I said: just to talk

If one is buying for the number of amp models, that disqualifies Helix. I never really understood the need for model after model after model, etc. Effects models are a different story, though, which will undoubtedly increase in number, perhaps even flexibility.

When I first got Helix, I didn't really gravitate towards using IRs, but they can really make a world of difference. Plus they can be combined with the built in IRs. IRs could very well be one of the most influential tools in Helix for constructing a tone.