Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Opinion on new amp for POD HD 500x

mattbfoster

Sorry to bother.  I have a POD HD 500x, and an Amplifi 150.  I started with the Amplifi because I really like the ability to practice with the amp.  But, our band is starting to play live more often now, and I have a POD HD 500x as well.  Do you think the DT 25 is worth it, or should I just scrap everything and get the new Firehawk 1500?  Both amps look sweet, and I am just trying to figure out which will be the best in the long run.  Since, I already have the POD HD 500x, I kind of want to go with the DT 25, but I would appreciate any input.  Thanks

Matt

If you like the sounds you're getting from the POD HD 500x, then another option is to use a powered speaker like Alto TS110a (or TS112). I'm using a similar setup for practice, jams, and gigs. Very versatile for less and sounds great!

The Firehawk should cover a lot of bases but I understand that it's monumentally heavy! How is your back? I have a DT and am very impressed. You have so many sounds available over the L6 Link. I haven't checked if Firehawk has that?

I used to use a keyboard amp as a FRFR speaker but the 'touch' available on the DT is amazing. I even get a passable acoustic sound using Rads DT patch in Customtone.

Just to add to what cruisinon2 said, I use two full range/flat response powered monitors (EV ELX112P) with my HD500X with full amp and cab modeling, along with a JTV59 and I couldn't be happier. It's a lightweight, powerful, & extremely versatile set up. I use path A in my POD for amp models, and path B for mic processing. I started with a DT25 & found i couldn't get the bottom end and stage coverage i needed for my style of playing/music, but i was also in need of a good vocal monitor. The Line 6 StageSource series is an excellent choice as well, and are designed & built to accurately recreate the intended amp modeling from your POD. I have owned every type of guitar amp and rig known to man, and the feel or tone that I've lost by not using a tube amp (minimal to none) is far outweighed by my new found flexibility. My JTV59 has replaced THREE guitars i used to have to set up on stage, and coupled with my HD500x replaced any time needed for changing guitars (ie electric to acoustic) or alternate tunings (ie drop d etc). Also, i essentially have two guitar amps that double as vocal monitors, that can be placed anywhere on stage. There's no tone "suck" like your bass player standing in front of your amp for three hrs on a small stage.

Hello

I've personnaly choosed the FRFR way + POD HD Pro x , with an EV ZX12P, it's on road now from thotho :)

First shot were made with a rocktron velocity 300, but and there is a big but, guitar cab clearly destroy my tone.

I've used this first rig (POD and Velocity) in rehearsal studio where various cabs are there, small venues with mate cabs and a constant statement is : Ok for clean sound , light crunch, but with hi gain , cabs response curve totally mess up tones, over modulation is coming in your face.

So EV zlx has many good reviews , i'll give it a try

Second choice would be an old spider valve 112 as amp

Third choice because of the price would be a DT

Fourth i handmade everything myself (tube flat pa and FRFR guitar cab)   :D