Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 variax, just one works with HD 500x

amx13

Hi guys, I'm about to pull the trigger and get a new HD500x, since my HD500 is damaged. The guys at the local store let me take it home to make some tests. The thing is, I own 2 variax guitars, a Variax 700 and a JTV 59. The 700 worked fine with the HD500, but I didn't have the chance to try out the JVT on it since I bought it right after the HD500 died on me.

The 700 worked perfectly on the HD500x, just plug it and play, no problems. I was able to change the variax model for each preset and so...But the JTV is another story. I'm getting the white dimmed light on once I push down on the the selector switch, so I know there's communication between the guitar and the device, but that's it. No sound, the tuner doesn't work, no matter wath patch I'm in to, and no matter how many adjustments I do on each path (like selecting the variax only input, both guitar and variax, set it go global, etc)

I'm using the same variax cable for both, and the JTV does connect once I open the workbench software. Is there's something I'm missing on the setup?

I'm not sure but I believe once you have selected Variax as your input, there is a place to select whether it is an old Variax or a JTV Variax in the same place you can select which guitar and pickup you want. The mixer section I think. Could that be it?

Sadly that´s not it. I´ve already tried to change the instrument on the mixer but still no results. The weird thing is that the 700 still works when the JTV is selected on the mixer.

With the 700 plugged in, no matter what guitar is selected on the mixer, I get sound on the amp. If the JTV is selected, I can't change any options on the guitar. Once I switch to the 700 on the mixer, I´m able to select guitar models and such.

With the JTV plugged, there´s nothing. No matter what model is selected on the mixer, there´s no sound. The only way it has worked, is plugging the variax cord on the guitar to get power (without the guitar battery inserted), and at the same time plugging the guitar cord in to the 500X guitar in. No way to control the guitar setting with the patch, even though the HD500x it´s powering the JTV.

With the JTV plugged, there´s nothing. No matter what model is selected on the mixer, there´s no sound. The only way it has worked, is plugging the variax cord on the guitar to get power (without the guitar battery inserted), and at the same time plugging the guitar cord in to the 500X guitar in. No way to control the guitar setting with the patch, even though the HD500x it´s powering the JTV.

JTV is the problem then...sounds like the VDI connection in particular, if you're getting sound through the 1/4". Supposedly connecting both the same time can damage the circuitry, though. It's been mentioned by the powers that be more than once...so you probably don't want to run that way for any length of time. Reasonable for troubleshooting, though. Service ticket time, good luck.

"I'm using the same variax cable for both, and the JTV does connect once

I open the workbench software. Is there's something I'm missing on the setup?"----

If the JTV-59 firmware is v2.00 or higher, you will need to use Workbench HD.

Regular Workbench won't work v2.00 or higher.

Since I work on both kinds of Variax guitars, I keep both versions of Workbench

on my computer, so I deal with either one.

I see, so the fact that the guitar is powered on, doesn't necessarily means that it should be sending audio signal, right?  

That's correct. The VDI communication uses the same hardware (RJ-45 connectors/pins) as a standard ethernet connection. Each pin does a specific job - one or two carry power, others carry digital audio, and others carry command & control data. If one pin is bent some function or other will get messed up.

Before opening a ticket inspect the VDI connection on your JTV. Look inside to see if you can detect any bent pins. If so, try fashioning a J-hook out of something like a twist tie and use it to carefully hook underneath the pin and gently bend it back into place.

My JTV59 works fine with my HD500x, but I did have some initial problems.  Even now, occasionally, I'll find that I have to push the VDI firmly into the back of the guitar.  Setting it on a guitar stand not really designed for a JTV can somehow bump it loose just enough.  

How exactly is the JTV set up in HDEdit on the Mixer tab. Is variax control set to PRESET?

post-1445431-0-74251000-1470406766_thumb.png

If your Variax is out of warranty, one thing I've done is open the Variax up and reseat all of the board connectors. That fixed an issue I had awhile ago.

I see, you mean like unplug and plug back again the connectors on the inside of the JTV? Let me give it a try :-). Thanks a lot for all the help guys